1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Registry Controls -

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MastiffShack, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MastiffShack

MastiffShack Thread Starter

What part of the registry/security settings control the presentation mode for an installation of Windows XP Pro?

The system I have acquired uses the "clasic" settings for Windows XP Pro. When I try to find how to reset it (either in the startup, in Control Panel, or anywhere) I can't find the setting. I've tried all the regular places in a standard install of WinXP Pro. In fact, I've tried to find the setting based on another system I have installed with the XP Pro OS, and could not find matchin "switches" in the "classic" system.

The system was/is(?) managed from a central server, but it is off the network a majority of the time.

I've concluded that the ability for the user to switch between classic and XP presentations is controlled, most likely, in a security setting somewhere, or a buried registry setting.

Please help.

Thank you.

2. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Normally you would right click the start button or task bar => start menu tab and the option should be there.

Another place that'll have a similar effect is right click my computer => properties => advanced tab => performance settings => adjust for best appearance will set it back to winxp look; and best performance will do classic view.

A third place you might look is administrative tools => services => check to see if the Themes Service is set to automatic or manual and started

3. mike5532g

mike5532g

Right click the desktop>properties>appearance tab> and in the windows and buttons box select windows classic style and click ok.

4. MastiffShack

Thank you Paladin-X and mike5532g. I've tried both places, to no avail. Here are additional symptoms:

1) Log in is in classic rather than XP style (can't find where that changes either).
    2) Any launch of "Control Panel" always opens in classic style.
    3) Opening of Windows Explorer always opens in classic style.

Also, examination of the: Desktop Right Click > Appearance reveals that the Windows and buttons drop down box is set to "Windows XP style"; Color scheme: Default; Font Size: Normal. Yet in the "Advanced Appearance" section, it is the classic image.

Seems like there is a "check box" or other option that changes the sign on to XP style instead of classic; but it doesn't show up anywhere that I've been able to find yet.

Anyway, this is not preventing normal usage of the system, but it is a bit annoying that I don't seem to be able to access all the features provided by Windows XP styles.

- Jim

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

In the control panel click on switch to category view to change to windows xp style control panel.

Click user accounts>change the way users logon or off and check use the welcome screen

Right click the desktop>properties> and in the Theme box select Windows XP and click ok.

6. MastiffShack

Thank you mike5532g. I've tried the "accounts > change" and "desktop > properties" as well. That is why I think there is some security line/setting that is either missing or set incorrectly. I just don't know which one it is. It may also be a Registry Setting that I've not been able to locate yet.

It is baffelling to me too. That's why I'm hoping that you are someone can point to the "little hidden things" that control this.

- Jim

7. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Did you check to make sure the Themes service was enabled and running?

8. MastiffShack

Yes sir(?).

9. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Have you tried looking through the local security policies? I'd look for you, but I don't have access to that at work. :(

10. mike5532g

mike5532g

11. MastiffShack

I've attempted review of local security policies, but could not recognize anything that would address my need.

mike5532g - Thank you for the web site. I think this will fit the bill. As soon as I can access the system again, I'll give it a try.

Thank you.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice