1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Registry

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Puter Granny, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Puter Granny

Puter Granny Thread Starter

I just downloaded a free scan for my computer that is called Windows Registry. I used the scan and it say's that I have 996 problems, 391 empty folders, problems with shared DDL's and a bunch of other stuff. I was afraid to tell it to fix anything. It will only fix 15 items unless I buy it anyways... Then I keep getting a Runtime error message. Say's Line 203, object expected. Soooo should I trust and buy this Windows Registry, is there something better out there and what should I do about all of this... I surely appreciate your help. ;) undefined

2. TOGG

TOGG

Puter Granny,

There is a school of thought that suggests that there is no need to 'clean' or otherwise amend the Registry at all and that anybody who does risks serious complications. Others suggest that, as your computer gets old, it's Registry will get cluttered with useless, broken old entries that may, eventually, cause slowdowns or crashes. Unfortunately, I have no idea which, if any, of these views is correct.

I have used Registry cleaners for some time without complications and am currently using RegSupreme which you can read about here;http://www.macecraft.com/ So far I have allowed it to 'fix' over 1500 items after one scan and I'm still here.

I have no knowledge of the cleaner you are trying so I can't comment on whether or not it is worth keeping. RegSupreme costs $12.95 or something similar if you tried it and decided to keep it.

3. Future

Future

Puter Granny

I have used the program you refer to, and although it has worked on some computers with registry problems, on my own computer it did not work. It found x amount of errors with the registry, but when I chose it to fix them, and rebooted, my computer would not run anymore. until I put the backedup copy of the registry back.

Anyway, you should always backup the registry before you modify it..

hope that helps you some.

4. Puter Granny

Puter Granny Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I think I will just leave things as they are at the moment. I'm not sure how to back up anything and I have too much riding on our computer to risk it.

Blessings to ya;
    Puter Granny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice