1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows registry

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jimandsally, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimandsally

jimandsally Thread Starter

when going to msconfig to tidy up startup I got the following message "enviroment variables were found in the legacy files AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or CONFIG.SYS and the variables were moved to the windows registry". What does this mean and could it be the cause/result of recent crashes.Have run scandisk which reported that 9 bad clusters were found and repaired.
    Also I tried to reinstall MS sidewinder precision 2 joystick but got a message saying "_ins5576 has caused an error in OLEAUT32.DLL _ins5576 will now close". I have tried restarting but to no avail.The joystick has been installed previously with out any problems.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated,in easy to undertsand language as I am still learning.

Cheers Jim

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Your evidently running Windows ME. That "Enviroment Variables ..." message is due to the fact that autoexec.bat and/or config.sys has new limits under Windows ME. You can't set enviroments like you could in prior versions of Windows. Some install, maybe Sidewinder, has added variables to one of those two files that aren't valid under Windows ME. Or has the PC recently been upgraded to Windows ME from a prior version of Windows?

And <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q272261> here's </a>your resolution for the Sidewinder issue with Windows ME.

Let us know if that fixes it.

3. jimandsally

thanx Bryan will try. i have always had ME on this pc but recently seem to have had a lot of problems which i seem to have solved,this is just the latest,is the bad clusters a bad sign or just caused by progs being installed and then uninstalled

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Bad clusters can be caused by a lot of things. They're just FAT(File Allocation Table) problems and once they've been repaired, your pretty much ok going forward. Bad sectors are a different ballgame. That means your hardrive has bad spots on it that can't be fixed. Anyway, I'd suggest that you run scandisk regularly about every week for a few weeks and see if it's a reoccuring problem. And it can't hurt to run a disk defrag but once a month should be more than enough for defraging.

BTW, also when scandisk repairs the cluster problems, you could lose data as a result of the repair. It's not all that common but it does occur. Just to be safe I'd highly suggest you backup anything you really really need in case you do lose some files.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Was the message about bad SECTORS or did it say something about Lost Clusters or File Fragments??
    If it is the latter, this is nothing to seriously worry about. It occurs when you are in the process or creating or updating a file, and the PC hangs, or you are forced to do a ctl=alt-del.

If you look in the C:\ directory, you should see files that look like FILEnnnn.CHK. (unless you have the scandisk option set to delete these files).

6. jimandsally

thanx guys, all seems to be working again.
    Happy New Year

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice