1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Reinstall causes separate partition failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bigwilliex, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bigwilliex

Bigwilliex Thread Starter

Hey everyoen out there. Here are some specs on my system beforei go tearing into it. I run XP pro on a 1.2 Duron. I have two hard didsks, one 80 with 4 partitions and one 40 with one partition. I set up all partitions with Maxblast (they are maxtor 133's running at ATA 100). I ahve a ti4800SE qith 128DDR- talk about a mismatch, but it gives me a good reason oto upgrade.

The thing is this. I went ot a LAN and spent hours tweaking and having other people tweak my network settings adn finally ended up giving in to their chants of "re-install" and reinstalled windows. That was no big issue (it still doesn't work but that's not the problem). After I set everything up, I noticed that all my drive letters had been changed. I also noticed that oh joy of joys, my data drive (d) was listed as "Local Disk" RAW file system and 0 bytes. Does anyone know what exactly happened (and therefore what if anything i can or can't do? In addition to this, if i set up a system with a different partition (say 1.5 or 2.5 GB for the windows files only, and the other 7.5 or 8.5 for programs) What are the major downsides? I know how to manually change te default install paths through the regsitry, so thats no biggie. Are there any things that are particularly terible that will happen because of it? It is very important to me that i recover the data for my health- because i have family members who had large amounts of their documents, etc. in the drive. The problem now is not how to reformat, but whethere it would hurt to leave a partition for windows only that could be scrubbed ad replaced if i need to again. I plan to go ot more LANs too(one a month), so please help me out here. Sorry I type so much but it's better than "I think i havea problem with this mouse thingy..." isn't it?
    Also: What might have happened ot the drive and why will it show up with its proper name under disk management but not under explorer. I tried to check through DOS but... NTFS and DOS don't like each other too much and i couldn't read any of the drives.
    How can i reverse that? (if I can)
    What are the cons to having a separate partition for only windows?
    Does anyone know a good place ot hide while I wait for my family members to becoem too feeble to kill me any more? ;)

Willie

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I think the key was the comment about installing with Maxblast! If you used partitioning software, then later write a different boot block to the disk, the Maxblast partition manager was overwritten.

I believe you can boot from the Maxblast CD and recover the data, though I don't use Maxblast myself.

3. Bigwilliex

Thanks for hte suggestion, but I didn't reformat, I only overwrote the c:/WINDOWS directory with a fresh install. The partition stayed intact.... if it only were that easy .. :( WAH! help me!
    -Willie

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you reinstall Windows, it modifies the master boot record, which is what I was talking about. I'm not convinced my scenario was incorrect.

5. Bigwilliex

After all that, it turns out it was a permissions error. The previous install had the drives "owned" by that admin (referred to by a numerical code) and mine were not set up as my 'property'(my admin number didn't match), so i was locked out. Furthermore i had changed the account i was on to admin status but my computer was being a _____ and didn't grant me all the rights of the built-in account. Once i logged on as that admin, I was able to change the ownership to me and remove the previous "owner" completely. Only problem is i have ot remember that next time i reformat. If only i could return tha copy of systemworks that cost me 70$.... The partitions were still fine btw and systemworks is handy to defrag based on the use patterns of the files. Thanks for bothering to reply.

BigwillieX

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice