1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Repair broke Radeon Mobility 9550 Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cimotablue, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cimotablue

cimotablue Thread Starter

I have a Gateway 7422GX (laptop) which as a Mobility Radeon 9550. I repaired windows using the cd because I restarted my computer and it was either going to take 7min+ to boot, or just wasn't going to. I got stuck at the windows splash screen. I'm using windows professional. Whenever I try to install any of the drivers (factory defaults, latest versions, dna, omega), I get the same error message: Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit.

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

First of all, welcome to the TSG forums...

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers BEFORE you tried to install the videochip drivers? If not, you'll need to locate the chipset drivers and install them, then reboot the system and THEN try to install the videochip drivers.

Just FYI, when you install / reinstall Windows, it is best to install the OS first, followed by any service packs not embedded within the OS, the motherboard chipset drivers, and THEN the video drivers, whether for a videoCHIP, or a videoCARD.

If you're not sure which drivers you need now, post a list of whatever drivers you have available, or a link with specific information about your Gateway laptop, and we'll help you figure out which drivers to install, in which order...

This will require some diligence and patience, but once you learn how to do this, you'll ALWAYS know, and should be able to help advise others on the same procedure...

3. cimotablue

I repaired my windows install using the cd, and the mobility radeon drivers were uninstalled. I went to reinstall them, and they didn't install. The specific error message was : Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit. I think WinXP is not recognizing the card anymore, because in device manager, there is a ! next to a pci simple communications controller. I've tried multiple versions of ati drivers, omega, and dna drivers.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've merged your two theads together.

5. cimotablue

Thank you. I tried downloading the motherboard drivers, at the last step, they fail to restart my computer, so I did it manually. Still no luck, I'm going to try applying more windows updates.

6. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Sorry about the delay in replying to you; I got called away unexpectedly...

I really doubt that applying Windows updates will accomplish anything to resolve this, except maybe to make matters worse...

If you're using Windows XP (Home or Pro), download this file; it contains the proper chipset drivers for your Gateway 7422GX laptop:

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/via_hyperionpro_v513a.zip

Copy that link, and paste it into a new browser window; when given the option to "Run" or "Save" the file, choose the "Save File" option, and save the .ZIP file to the Windows Desktop. When you unzip it, it will create a new folder on the Desktop, named "VIA_HyperionPro_V513A". This is a LARGE .ZIP file (~ 12MB), so the download might take a few minutes. Once the file has finished downloading, CLOSE ALL OPEN APPLICATIONS, including your browser. Even though I have a broadband connection, the file server restricts the download speed; it took nearly seven minutes for the download to finish.

Next, locate the new .ZIP file on the Desktop; if you saved it under the default name, it will be the "via_hyperionpro_v513a.ZIP" file. To unzip the file, right-click the .ZIP file, and highlight the "Extract All" option. As I mentioned previously, Windows will create a new folder on the Desktop; double-click the new folder to open it. Next, find and double-click the "SETUP.EXE" file, which will run the chipset driver installation program. Follow the prompts from the installation wizard, and reboot your computer when the installation is completed. Do NOT disregard the reboot; Windows will delete some unneeded files, then install some important new files, during the rebooting process.

Once you get back to the Windows Desktop, you can install the video drivers for your Radeon video chip, or download new drivers here:

http://www.omegadrivers.net

Good luck with this; let us know if you have any questions about this, and please let us know if you encounter any more problems.

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Idles question from the peanut gallery ....

This was a "repair" install. This should not be removing/uninstalling chipset drivers should it?

8. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Good question, WhitPhil, but judging from the information provided in the original post, I surmised that this was in fact a REINSTALLATION of Windows; otherwise, the motherboard chipset drivers should have been unmolested. Since they seem to have been completely hosed (or at the least, mangled beyond recognition), it seems logical to reinstall the MB chipset drivers FIRST, so that Windows will then be able to recognize the videochip, and then install the required video drivers.

Simply stated, the MB chipset is newer than WinXP itself, which is why XP can't recognize some of the system hardware; installing the proper MB chipset drivers (downloaded directly from VIA) should make the rest of this repair go smoothly. Once the MB chipset drivers are installed, Windows should be able to recognize the Radeon videochip, and the rest of the process should be academic.

Bottom line is, people have varying definitions of "repairing" Windows, and most don't seem to know the difference between "fixing" Windows, "repairing" Windows, and REINSTALLING Windows, through no fault of their own. The terminology can be confusing in the best of circumstances, and the symptoms reported by the OP indicate that Windows has actually been reinstalled, NOT repaired as a technician would define the process...

9. cimotablue

yeah, i used those two drivers. It worked perfectly, no problems. Thanks for the help.

10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

So, to satisfy my curiousity, did you use the "R" repair option, or did you do a complete re-install.

Then, you can mark this thread as solved, using Thread Tools at the top.

11. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Hey, that is GREAT news, cimotablue, and glad to know you've got everything under control now. I wanted you to use the drivers provided by VIA, because I don't trust Gateway to get much of ANYTHING right, especially when it comes to providing the proper drivers...

Anyway, if you have a free minute, can you answer WhitPhil's question? I'm curious too...

Lastly, as WhitPhil mentioned, you can now mark this thread as "SOLVED", using the "Thread Tools" option near the top of the page...

Best wishes; keep punching...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice