1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows repair

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Funkyecat, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Funkyecat

Funkyecat Thread Starter

I want to perform a windows repair (automatic no manual). My Windows disk cracked. Would a Windows OEM disk be satisfactory?

2. James4630

James4630

You will have to give us more information such as the make and model of your system. Many makes have a repair partition, which you can use for repair or make copies of the installation disks. OEM disks will only work for the make and model they are designed for.

3. Funkyecat

Funkyecat Thread Starter

Velocity Micro
    WinXP SP3
    AMD 64 3200
    1.5 Meg Memory

It had been format with an Win XP SP1 Home to Professional to SP2 then SP3 not a company DVD which was not working. There is no repair partition. All I want is to perform an SFC scannow function and should not affect anything else.

4. James4630

James4630

Here is a tutorial on the sfc scannow function. I don't know much about it, and I don't know if an OEM disc would work in this case. When I've performed the sfc /scannow function, I've never been asked for an installation disc.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.htmlth

5. antech

antech Banned

It would ....
    But its illegal according to microsoft

6. Funkyecat

Funkyecat Thread Starter

Everything is illegal to Microsquish.

If your original disk goes bad or cracked, then they expect you to buy a new one-retail.

Fortunately I had a back-up from a month ago. I have to update many programs (FileHippo Update is great) and I also save the new downloads so I don't have to redownload. Everything works fine.

Thanx for your help.

7. antech

antech Banned

Problem Solved??
    Here in India,
    98% of PC I have dealt with have pirated OS installed.
    I have never seen a genuine retail windows installed on any of my friends PC
    Everyone is a great Microsoft Worshippper,
    Except me,
    I am a Linux lover.....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice