1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows Resolution Resetting to Lowest

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Emunator, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Emunator

Emunator Thread Starter

Hey there, recently my computer began changing it's resolution to the lowest possible on startup.
    (My resolution is 1400x900, startup/login screen sets it to 1024x768).
    And all desktop icons seem to go too the exact same position. Even if I move them, next startup/boot puts them back in the position.

I am on Windows 8(Not 8.1)

I am completely at a loss to as why it's doing this.
    Here is what SysInfo pasted out:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16309 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8570, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 2774 GB (362 GB Free); D: 18 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, 2AE0
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled

While my computer is somewhat aged(2013), I'd still like to find a solution if possible.

Here is a list of things I've tried from solutions I have found online:

• Update/Reinstall drivers.
    • Clean Boot.
    • Changing RegEdit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Hardware profile values for default display resolution.
    • There was also a solution, the same as above for HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG, however I could not find a Video folder/key/header in this region at all. (Is that part of the problem?)

While my resolution changing on startup isn't a huge issue by any means(It's fine when I change it back, it just goes back to small resolution after a startup). It is however, annoying moving my dekstop icons and changing it back everytime.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/solutions you may have! I'm willing to try anything.

2. Fabio87

Fabio87 Banned Temporarily Banned

Emunator likes this.
  3. Emunator

Emunator Thread Starter

I tried all the solutions in the post aswell as the comment...
    And 1-2 of them worked!

I say 1-2 as the last 2 I tried, I did at the same time.

I did the comment regarding the simulated key, aswell as a simple reboot.
    I had no idea you had to reboot/restart(Not shutdown) when changing resolution.

Also the key in that comment was very similar aswell, its resolution was the one that mine being set at.

To make sure it's working, I shutdown and booted multiple times to check if it would occur again, and it did not.

While I have no idea why this occured in the first place, im glad it's gone!
    Thanks Fabio. :X3:

4. Fabio87

Fabio87 Banned Temporarily Banned

You are welcome sir, glad to have been a help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice