1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Restore function

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by RGestrich, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RGestrich

RGestrich Thread Starter

I have recently encountered a series of quirky problems, none all that serious, and none caused by viruses. So, in an attempt to get back to a stable environment I attempted to use Windows Restore. There I found only the last week or so restore points available, and I want to go back a little further than this. I checked the space available for saving restore points and increased it some. However, this problem has never occured in the past, so I'm wondering what you think may have caused it, and what I can do to eliminate it in the future.
    Thanks for your assistance. It is really appreciated
    Bob

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Someone else using the PC may have used System Restore, but I think you would have spotted something sooner....they also could have reduced the amount of drive space it takes up, even deleted old Restore Points....

When Restore is turned off, all the Restore Points are deleted- have you been cleaning malware and done that a week or so ago?

Then, has the pc been to shop lately?

""System Restore can adversely affect application benchmark software, and might operate during active test periods, so test labs routinely disable System Restore under XP and Me before testing, and you should too when running benchmarks."""

I need to know what brand like HP, Dell etc you have, if it is a no-name pc, just say that.

There are System Restore updates for Windows XP and for Windows ME, look at info for your operating system.

I am assuming you are using XP.

In XP any variety Pro or Home edition:

"""It requires a minimum of 200 MB of space available on the system partition. If there are not 200 MBs available, System Restore will install disabled and will enable itself automatically once the required disk space is created."""

I also assume you have read this page below, but take a look:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_restore.htm

I realize you've corrected space already:

""The default setting is 12% of total drive size, but this can be increased or decreased depending on the number of restore points you want to have available.""

XP's SP2 updates System Restore. By any chance was SP/2 uninstalled due to a problem?

If you don't yet have SP2, you may need a patch for Restore used on SP1 XP machines.

Let me know what you have and about SP1, or SP2.

3. lister

lister

Run a Disk cleanup recently, or cleaning software?
    What's the size of your hard drive - have you a lot of stuff on it, etc?

4. RGestrich

RGestrich Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I'm on a Dell Dimension L 1000R, using a 1 Gb. Pentium 3 processor, with Windows XP Pro.
    I read the article by Eldergeek, but have already done what he suggests. I did however go back into settings and changed all of my drives to 12% space available. It was set closer to 6%. I don't ever recall doing anything ever to these settings before. But, something must have changed them as the problem didn't exist before.
    From your or eldergeek's comments I take it there are programs out there that correct XP faults, including System Restore. Are there any you can recommend as good?
    Thank you once again for your patience and cooperation in helping me with this issue.
    Bob

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I'm not able to reccommend any programs that correct or handle System Restore- I would let Windows manage it...though, I have seen a few that claim to supervise Restore, I think it would be better to try it out again and not pile something on top of it right now.

What is the total size of your hard drive, Drive C if you have more than one or have partitioned the main disk...

Just open My Computer, then, right click Drive C: and select Properties and report the amount of total vs. free space, I am pretty sure you have plenty but I've seen people run XP on some mighty small hard drives!

If increasing the space Restore uses works, I would leave it that way and watch it.

Let me see if Dell had any Restore updates for your model and I will post what I find...

I checked as best I could for a Dimension L1000r and don't see any downloads for you except drivers.

Didn't get an answer about Service pack 2-

Hijackthis log will show us what we need to know- and it may show some software that could be causing Restore to reduce Restore Points:

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    • Save Hijackthis.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
    • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    • Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    • At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit EDIT then SELECT ALL then click EDIT and then click COPY, doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    • Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
    • At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit EDIT then PASTE
    • You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I only have system restore enabled on my boot partition, since all it does is waste space on other drives. I give it the maximum amount of memory there...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice