1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Justme44, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Justme44

Justme44 Thread Starter

:mad: I have this message when I turn on my computer: Followingfile is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    I have tried putting the Windows XP cd in and nothing happens, have tried F8 to go into any of the options press enter which the option then comes up in blue at the bottom but then highlight windows default as the only option to enter then returns to the original message

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Possibly a corrupted boot.ini file.

What happened just before this? Any new installations, drivers installed, "cleanups" done, registry cleaned, or anything else that could have damaged the computer?

Any problems before this with the way the OS ran?

Edit: The directions posted by Mark1956 are a very good way to approach the problem. But the section on replacing the hal.dll should be ignored. There are 7 hal.dll files in XP, one of which is renamed to hall.dll from something else during setup to match the architecture of your machine. The chances that the hal.dll on the XP CD is the correct version are small. It could lead to more problems if the wrong one is used.

The idea that hal.dll is really missing is almost always barking up the wrong tree, anyway. There is nothing special about hal.dll that would make it preferentially disappear or become corrupted. In other words, if it were truly missing, the chances that it is the only file missing are vanishingly small. It is far more likely that there is a problem with the hard drive than that hal.dll just got corrupted all by itself or disappeared.

4. Justme44

Justme44 Thread Starter

No I have not installed anything, the computer is an Apple Mac with the hard drive partitioned, it has recently been giving a not responding message on internet pages particularly if I try to go into them too quickly!! Two nights ago I thought I had closed the computer down but the next morning it had frozen on not responding, the only way to do anything with it then is to unplug it, when I tried to start it again I got the message as previously stated, Is there anything I can do or have I messed it up completely?

Many thanks for your help

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you looked at the link above and followed those directions?

If you have the XP CD, you might want to boot from it, anyway, and run chkdsk /f to repair the file system damage that is done with a hard shutdown.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Elvandil beat me to it while I was writing this so I'll leave it as it is.

Ok, this would be a good place to start.

If you have not backed up all your important data to an external source then first follow this guide. Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

Following that set the CD to 1st in the boot order in your Bios and boot from the XP disc. Answer the prompts until you see an option to press "R" to get to the Recovery Console.

When asked select the partition that the OS is installed on.

At the Command Prompt type in chkdsk /r (make sure you leave the space befoe the /). Hit the Enter key and observe the results. It may take quite a long time to complete depending on the size of the partition.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

For the future, if you had had a complete system backup, you could have restored it and been back in business in 20 minutes. If you have an extra drive to store an image, on, it can end up saving a lot of time. Your hard drive will fail, too, eventually, maybe sooner than later.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

8. Justme44

Justme44 Thread Starter

I have tried putting in the XP CD but you can hear it making a noise as though its loading but nothing happens it just goes back to the same message - how do I get into BOIS to get a promt?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there a message on the boot screen about what key to press (You can press "Pause" at many points during boot to read the screen if it goes too fast, then "Enter" to resume.)?

What make/model of machine?

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

You have to have the Bios boot order set so that the CD drive is in 1st position, then it will boot from the XP disc. From what you have described that is clearly not the case. You should see some F keys listed on the boot up screen or on the logo screen saying "Set up" or "Boot menu", although there are some variations between makes of PC. Selecting "Set up" will allow you to change the boot order and "Boot Menu" will allow you to select the CD drive with immediate effect.

I would advise you to back up all your important data using the Ubuntu disc as described in post 6, before you proceed any further, just in case something goes wrong.

11. Justme44

Justme44 Thread Starter

The computer is an Apple Mac with the hard drive partitioned, I cannot get to a promt - tried pressing f16 when turning on - no luck, have tried delete shift F12 - no luck have no idea what other buttons to press.

My files are backed up on Norton 360 online backup

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

13. Justme44

Justme44 Thread Starter

Still no luck. The computer is an iMac G5

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

I'm seeing a lot of different key combinations in various forums but try these to get the CD to boot, you need to press the key/s down during the boot process. The Bios on a Mac is called "Open Firmware".

Command-Option-Shift-Delete : Forces your Mac to startup from its internal CD-ROM drive or an external hard drive. Very helpful if you have a 3rd party CD-ROM drive that is not an Apple ROM device.

Option : When using an Open Firmware "New World ROM" capable system, the System Picker will appear and query all mounted devices for bootable systems, returning a list of drives & what OS they have on them. On "Old World" systems the machine will simply boot into it&#8217;s default OS without any Finder windows open.

C : Forces most Macs to boot from the CD-Rom drive instead of the internal hard drive. Only works with Apple ROM drives and with bootable CD discs.

15. Justme44

Justme44 Thread Starter

I do not have a separate CD rom drive only another computer (Dell) or a laptop (MacAir) or Notebook (HP) or a Seagate external hard drive which backs up my Dell, would any of these be any good/ (I have since been told my Apple is an iMac Intel (not G%)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice