1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

<windows root> \system32\hal.dll.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by starbury, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starbury

starbury Thread Starter

hey guys....i messed up huge...my problem is twofold.....i awoke this morning and as usual went over to my system to enjoy my cup of coffee and read the online paper.....i had a notification from symantec that my system needed to be restarted after a virus definition was in place...when i rebooted,this error message appeared"<windows root> \system32\hal.dll."...file is missing or corrupt error message.....so i googled it and i guess i wasnt awake because i rebooted in safemode with networking and instead of finding a proper fix i decided that id just take a chance and find a hal.dll online and copy n paste out the old with the new.......after that and rebooting...i can no longer even access my os,but now i get this error message,"windows could not start because of an error in the software.please report this problem as:load needed dlls for kernel.please contact your support person to report this problem.".......................did i mess up royally or what?.....any help into fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

2. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi.

A few options, you will need your xp disk for all of them exept chkdsk.
    The easiest is first - hardest last.

While in safe mode, go to start - run & type in the box: sfc /scannow then press enter. (I cant remember if this works or not in safe mode)

While in safe mode, go to start - run & type in the box: cmd then press enter.
    at the cursor type: chkdsk /f then press enter. If this gives you an error, type: chkdsk /r then press enter.
    You will be told that this prog cannot run in windows & do you want it to run on reboot. Answer Y.
    Reboot the pc.

Have a read of this, its easier than it looks & it often works.

If you already have some knowledge of the commands involved, many "Missing or corrupt HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini," or "Windows could not start..." problems can be fixed with these five shortcut steps:

• Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
    • Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
    • Delete the C:\Boot.ini file
    • Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
    • Run Fixboot
    •
    The first few times you try this repair, it makes sense to use the slightly longer but more certain "official" method, as outlined by Microsoft in a number of separate Knowledge Base articles. the instructions are here.

Enter The Recovery Console
    The safest, surest way to resolve problems such as "Missing or corrupt HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini," or "Windows could not start..." is to boot the PC from an XP Setup CD and use the pristine, uncorrupted files and tools there to effect repairs. The one catch is that if your setup CD is significantly older than your current Windows version, you may have file compatibility problems. For example, you can hit snags if you use an original or SP1 XP Setup CD to try to repair an XP SP2 installation. You'll get a message to the effect that the version you're trying to upgrade is newer than the version on the CD.
    The solution here is to use a "slipstreamed" setup CD, which adds the newer files to your original setup CD. This kind of updated setup CD can be used on just about any XP installation. It's a good idea to have an up-to-date, slipstreamed setup CD available in any case, as it simplifies all future installs and CD-based repairs.

Once you have a startup CD with the same version of system files as the PC you're working on, configure your PC to boot from CD if it isn't already set up that way. (You may need to enter the BIOS setup tool to configure the PC to boot from the CD.)
    Start your PC with the XP Setup CD in the drive. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt, do so and let the CD-based boot process begin.

When the Recovery Console option is offered ("Press R to start the Recovery Console"), do so. You may be asked which Windows installation to enter, in which case type the number of the Windows installation you wish to work on (usually "1").

When prompted, enter the Administrator's password for that Windows installation.

At the command prompt, type "Bootcfg /Rebuild" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Windows will then scan the hard drive, looking for valid Windows installs and startup information.

The exact verbiage will depend on your setup, but after a few moments you'll see a prompt that says something like:
    Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
    [1] C:\Windows
    Add Installation To Boot List?

Assuming the information you see is correct, enter "Y" for yes, and Bootcfg will start the process of rebuilding the boot list to include the indicated Windows installation. Along the way, it will repair most "Missing or corrupt HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini," "Windows could not start...," and similar errors.
    After a moment, you'll be asked to "Enter Load Identifier." This is the name of the operating system that will appear in boot menus. For consistency with the standard nomenclature used by Microsoft, enter "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" without the quotes and hit enter.
    Next you'll be asked to "Enter OS Load Options." For normal installations, enter "/Fastdetect" (without the quotes) and hit enter.
    In most cases, that's all it will take. You can type "Exit" to leave the Recovery Console and reboot the PC, which should then start normally.

But if you wish, or in cases where you suspect a problem with the boot sectors on the hard drive (as with problems in a dual- or multi-boot system that's become unstable, or where a third-party boot manager may have run amok), you can run Fixboot from the command line (without any parameters) prior to exiting the Recovery Console. This will write a new partition boot sector to the default drive, undoing any changes caused by dual-, multi-, or third-party boot processes. (You can reactivate those alternate boot methods later if you wish, but running Fixboot now simplifies the boot process and removes nonessential boot variables, which in turn helps ensure that the repaired XP installation will have the best chance of successful booting.)
    After running Fixboot, type "Exit" to leave the Recovery Console and reboot the PC, which should then start normally.

Re install windows over its-self. (you will lose no data).
    Full info here: http://www.informationweek.com/LP/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897&pgno=1&queryText=

Hope this helps

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice