<windows root.\systems32\ntoskrnl.exe

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wcopel

Hi. I get this error messg. <windows root.\systems32\ntoskrnl.exe I need instructions on how to install. this file. It start with Microsofts Beta Antispyware. Thanks

wcopel

Thanks, It says expand cd-rom drive which is d on my system could you give me a walk through on this procedure? Thanks

wacor

Banned
Did you try the easy way first and do a System restore to see if that would correct it?

wcopel

I would have tried a sys. restore but I need the missing file to boot. Thanks

wcopel said:
Thanks, It says expand cd-rom drive which is d on my system could you give me a walk through on this procedure? Thanks
expand D:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ C:\Windows\system32

wcopel

Thanks, Now I get unable to create file ntoskrnl.exe 0 file expanded. Please help. Thanks

Try this:
expand D:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD this may not work. Did you try "Last Known Good Configuration"? Tap F8 at boot and from options, select LKGC and hit enter.

wcopel

I did it all and I get unable to create file. I using a bootable XP cd.

The last command is the way I would have suggested it; I don't know why it didn't create or expand.

If there is an existing file, it may be blocking it. You can try renaming it first:

ren c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.bak

Then try the expand commands again. If no joy, rename it back to its exe extension.

Do you have another XP system with the same service pack level?

You can copy from that. The one on your Windows CD is likely to be the wrong version if you have done a service pack upgrade since the orginal install?

You may need to slave the drive to another NTFS system to make the copy.

You might also want to try running chkdsk from the recovery console

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online