1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows running slow, hanging, freezing up...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HollyG, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

My laptop is running extremely slow. I had Myspace open, Windows Live messenger and a word document. The pages were taking longer and longer to load. Then I tried to open the task manager and didn't even close out of any of the running programs. I was only online for abou 10 minutes and then ran the windows updates including SP3. Not sure if this has anything to do with it since I haven't used my laptop much since getting Verizon Fios. I thought it was supposed to be way faster than DSL.

I am running AVG 7.5 free which I tried to install AVG 8 today but couldn't even complete the download. I also have ZoneAlarm free on here. Internet Explorer 7.
    It's a Dell Inspiron E1405.

2. smith_

smith_

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Holly:

Verizon FIOS has 2 Mbps upload/10 Mbps download speeds in my area, so I'm assuming it's pretty much the same in your area.

Verizon DSL is about 15 times faster than 56K dial-up and is much slower than FIOS, so you should've seen a very noticable speed boost after upgrading from DSL to FIOS.

----------------------------------------------------------------

How much RAM is in that laptop?

Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - "Startup" tab. How many entries are checked?

4. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

It happens like that on both my laptop and my desktop, but I posted elsewhere about the desktop which may be because of the antivirus software I was using. The laptop is .99 GB of RAM and there are 13 checked. I am still running AVG 7.5 which I mean to get rid of and free ZoneAlarm. I have 33 GB of used space and 17 GB free, so I'm wondering if it's time I need to add more memory.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Holly:

13 startup entries isn't massive, but it's a lot more than I'd have checked. I only have AVG8 and SUPERAntiSpyware checked in my XP and Vista computers. I don't allow anything to automatically load that doesn't need to. I manually start it when needed.

In the leftmost "Startup Item" column, write down the names of those startup entries, then post them here in a vertical column just like you see them. Make sure to spell them exactly as you see them. I'll then advise you which ones you can uncheck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop comes with 1024 MB(1 GB) of RAM installed, but it's capable of using up to 4096 MB(4 GB) of RAM. It's my guess that it currently has either 2 - 512 MB modules or 1 - 1024 MB module. Installing 2 - 1024 MB modules will double the RAM amount to 2048 MB(2 GB), which is plenty for XP.

Here is the CRUCIAL site for that laptop.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

atiptaxx
    IntelMEM
    CTSysVol
    CTDVDDET
    CTHELPER
    UpdReg
    isuspm
    issch
    PSDrvCheck
    tfswctrl
    Reader_sl
    Communications_Helper
    realsched
    jusched
    "blank"??
    qttask
    McciTravApp
    dumprep 0 -k
    avgnt
    ctfmon
    YahooMessenger
    GoogleUpdate

I uncheck Yahoo, Google, and QuickTime, but they always come back on again. QT I always exit out of it anyway.

7. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

I checked and it has two DIMM 512 Mbs. So you think I should get two 2GB modules? And do you think I really need to install more memory? Is it easy to install. I did it on an old desktop.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Holly:

The startup entries that I've highlighted in bold type can be unchecked and disabled from automatically loading and running:

atiptaxx

IntelMEM
    (This entry is associated with a dial-up modem, and you said that you're now using FIOS)

CTSysVol

CTDVDDET

CTHELPER

UpdReg

isuspm

issch

PSDrvCheck

tfswctrl

Reader_sl

Communications_Helper

realsched

jusched

"blank"??

qttask

McciTravApp

dumprep 0 -k

avgnt

ctfmon

YahooMessenger

GoogleUpdate

Read here about CTHELPER and then decide if you want it checked or unchecked.

You can manually start Yahoo Messenger when you're ready to use it. Go into its Preferences or Options and there should be 1 or 2 commands that allow it to automatically load and run. Disable them.

QuickTime will recheck itself after you use it, so you have to uncheck it again.

Go into Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK and look for any Google-related entries. Double-click them, change their setting from Automatic to Manual, then click Apply.

You should be okay with 1024 MB(1 GB) of RAM with XP. If you decide to increase it though, increase it to 2048 MB(2 GB) with 2 - 1024 MB(1 GB) modules.

4096 MB(4 GB) is overkill and won't show any performance boost. XP won't recognize it all anyway, unless you have the 64-bit version.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/814011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice