Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Scheduler: failing

3K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  moper 
#1 ·
I have a task on Friday to open a playlist. Today, the task failed to go off. The status shows as "Could not start" and Last Result is 0x0. The playlist file is there (and can be opened), so that's not the problem. My computer was on... I don't know why it failed to go off.

I'm looking to find out two things. First, why it failed to go off. Second, how to not have it happen again (it's happened multiple times in the past).

Any ideas? This is important since it's my alarm.

#7 ·
Nope, no password.

In the log:
Code:
"College Fri.job" (good.fpl) 2/9/2007 9:15:00 AM ** ERROR **
	Unable to start task.
	The specific error is:
	0x80070005: Access is denied.
	Try using the Task page Browse button to locate the application.
When I got up later in the day, and saw the error... I tried running the file. It ran just fine.

#8 ·
Unless you set a password , it won't run reliably.
After some system changes, permissions get changed to "Jobs" run in Scheduled Tasks. This may get it running again, temporarily. On the Settings tab for the task, select and apply and then deselect and apply any one of the boxes, then OK.

moper

#9 ·
moper said:
Unless you set a password , it won't run reliably.
After some system changes, permissions get changed to "Jobs" run in Scheduled Tasks. This may get it running again, temporarily. On the Settings tab for the task, select and apply and then deselect and apply any one of the boxes, then OK.

moper
Well it ran fine yesterday. So you're saying I should set a password so it is more reliable?

#10 ·
Yes, possibly. I'll admit I can't find any definitive answer.
The username and password for the task only needs to be set if no user is logged in at the time the task is to run. But, if you check the "Run Only if Logged On" box, it will run only when you are logged on, even if you don't have a password.
Way back when XP first came out, Microsoft issued Article 311119.(see attachment) But it no longer exists on their website.
Then they issued Article 884573(see attachment). It, also does not exist anymore. Both claim that you need to set a password.
This thread deals with the same problem:http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2306660.php

Maybe it's the nature of the XP task scheduler. Vista promises a better version.
A major reliability obstacle in Windows XP was credentials management. Because credentials for tasks were stored locally, any update in domain or local passwords could invalidate tasks.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa906020.aspx

moper

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.