Windows Search Glitch?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joe7dust

I have "Hide Protected OS files" unchecked, "Show Hidden Files" checked, and "Hide file extensions" unchecked. Why then, is Windows Search overlooking the folder c:\documents and settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book? with parameters "*.WAB"

I almost had a minor coronary because a customer flipped out that his address book was gone according to Windows Search until I found a thread on this site specifying this location and I found it. Just curious if I can EVER trust search in windows again or I should get a 3rd party HD searching app.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
In my opinion, Windows Search is a useless system resource hog offered as a Windows Update. I never agreed to install it on my computers. I would uninstall it from "Add or Remove Programs"...

joe7dust

OK well we're probably not the first 2 people to think search is lacking. Is there a 3rd party search EXE or something I could get? Maybe there is a command or option I could change to make it search the whole hard drive? It seems like it skipped hidden folders or something.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
I never use anything else but the standard built-in search option.

joe7dust

If you use it, then why would you say you wish you could uninstall it? Sorry, but this thread hasn't been very helpful thus far...

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
That's different from Windows Search 4.0. Weren't you referring to that program?

joe7dust

Oh I think I see what you're saying, the Windows 7 search is fine and that's what you use but the XP search sucks? My issue was with XP.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
No, there is a program called Windows Search available for XP. In Windows 7 and Vista, it's standard and already part of the operating system.

The standard Search ( Start > Search) option on Windows XP is not Windows Search.

I'm sorry but I cannot really tell you why you weren't able to get the address book in your search results.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online