1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Search - performance hit

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DKTaber, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I installed Windows Search (WS) on my XP desktop earlier this week because I needed to find text in a spreadsheet. After telling it in the settings what to index, it indexed everything in a pretty short time and I was blown away by the speed with which it could find things.

However, I started noticing short spans of time where the computer became sluggish or momentarily unresponsive. When I looked at the magnifying glass icon for WS, I noticed it was indexing during those instances. It suggests that WS has a substantial performance hit when it's indexing. Yet, when you rest the mouse on it, it says "indexing speed is reduced due to user activity", which suggests that what I"M doing is supposed to take precedence over what IT'S doing. . . but it's not.

Anyone else notice this and if so, is there any way around it, like stop WS from indexing altogether while I'm using the computer?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I've been recommending users to uninstall Windows Search for years. It's a system resource hog.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Hi again, Phantom. As you know, I trust your judgment explicitly and this confirms my observations. I used Google Desktop for many years and did not detect any significant performance hit with it. But, stupid me, because I used it only a 3-4 times a year, I decided to uninstall it about 4 months ago. When I recently needed to find a person's name deep in some spreadsheet, I decided to reinstall it. . . only to discover that it's discontinued/no longer available**. . . so opted to install WS. It's too bad WS is a performance hog, because it's REALLY efficient at both indexing and finding things.

Are you aware of any other search programs that do not hog the CPU?
    --------------------------
    **For anyone reading this post, if you search for Google Desktop, you will find links to CNET and FileHippo indicating you can still download it. Those sites should have removed those pages long ago, because what you download is a tiny executable file that goes to Google to actually download Desktop. . . only it's no longer on Google's server, so nothing happens when you run the file.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Unfortunately not, sorry. I've never cared for any.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice