1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Security Center won't work

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Shagrath_Spawn, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shagrath_Spawn

Shagrath_Spawn Thread Starter

I am constantly getting a pop-up on startup of my laptop telling me that Windows Security Center is turned off and to click on that pop-up to turn it on. It brings up a window with a button that says "Turn On." When I click it, a dialogue box pops up that says "The Security Center Service can't be started." I have antivirus and anti-spyware programs installed on my laptop, so I don't really know what to do.

Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, and Windows Update all work perfectly, but the security center will not even try to function.

If I don't need Security Center, do I just disable it? If I should disable it, how do I do that? Any help will be appreciated.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

When did the problem begin?

Did the laptop come with Vista?

Please provide the exact verbage of the popup, or a screen shot of the popup.

start > programs >> accessories > run
    type: eventvwr.exe
    click "ok"
    On the left, left click on "windows logs".
    Left click "system"
    Look for errors on the right

Do the same for "applications".

start > control panel
    Switch to "classic view" [ upper left ] if you are in category view.
    Open "security center"
    "Change the way security center alerts me".

Which AV?
    Vista, is unable to recognize the presence of some older AV programs.

RF123

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

If you really want to remove the security centre (Think before proceeding!) you can do this:
    1. Start/Run and type cmd
    2. Type cd\
    3. Type cd windows\system32
    4. As a user, Run these commands, If you have followed the tweak above, you can just go straight in and rename them:
    a. takeown /f wscapi.dll
    b. takeown /f wscsvc.dll
    c. takeown /f wscui.cpl
    This has given you ownership of the three files. Now enter the System32 directory via Windows Explorer and right click each of these three files. Go to the Properties/Security Tab and edit/add an entry for everyone and give them all full access. (tick all the squares). Rename these three files with a BAK or an unusual ext which you can recognise later and maybe change back again. extension. In Start/Run type services.msc and disable the Security Center Service.

4. Shagrath_Spawn

I have Trend Micro Antivirus and SpySweep Antispyware. I made sure that it was Vista compatible before I bought it. I pulled up the event viewer and there are errors everywhere. How do I fix that? Is there any way to at all? I cannot provide you with a screenshot of the pop-up in the bottom-right corner of the screen, but I can tell you the exact wording. It said "Security Center is disabled. Click this pop-up to turn it on" and it takes me straight to the window below:

[​IMG]

5. kama64

kama64

Click on Start, then type Services and enter

If you get prompted for UAC, press continue

In the list of Services, is the Security Center disabled?

6. Shagrath_Spawn

Yes it is. How do I start it? The start button in the list of options when I right click it isn't highlighted.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

When did the problem begin?

Did the laptop come with Vista?

"event viewer and there are errors everywhere. How do I fix that?"

What are the errors?

RF123

8. Shagrath_Spawn

I got the Security Center problem fixed with the help of the post saying go to services and enable it from there. Now the problem is, the laptop froze when shutting down last night and I was forced to do a manual shutoff. I turnd it back on later and when I did it gave me the same Security Message, so I went into services and re-enabled security center, thenI shut it down a little later. Then, when I turned it back on, it says that SC has been disabled yet again. What is going on here??? I thought I had it fixed, but my laptop thinks otherwise.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

S_S:
    What is the exact message you receive regarding the SC being off?

start > all programs > accessories > run
    type: eventvwr.exe
    click "ok"

Maximize the screen
    On the left, left click on the ">" arrow to the left of Windows Logs
    left click on "applications"
    Look for errors
    Provide the "source" , "event id", and information on the "general tab".

Do the same for "system".

RF123

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

What did you do to fix this problem, or is it still unresolved?

RF123

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice