1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Security Dialog Box - Annoying

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by des000, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. des000

des000 Thread Starter

I've noticed that whenever I open batch files on an smb server, it seems to give me a warning. Up until now, I've just said yes, as I know what I'm trying to open for sure (unless it's ever become infected when I'm unaware, of course). But I'm noticing how annoying it can be.

Is there some way to disable the warning whenever I'm wanting to run one of my batch files from the network? This is a trusted source of programs to run.

I've got one hint that may be correct. According to the Internet, it would seem that it's controlled by Internet settings. Well, that makes sense, as I know how Internet Explorer is used in Windows XP. However, which setting is it, if so?

I've been searching for about 4 hours, trying different things. I've tried adding it to the Intranet zone, which itself, may not be done properly anyway. I've tried playing with a few advanced settings. I've also tried to play with just about every zone security setting possible too. I haven't found the answer, and it is messing up my security settings playing with it, and is like searching for a needle in a haystack trying to enable every setting, one by one.

I've also tried local policy, which wouldn't completely work, because there are some Windows XP Home machines anyway. But just to see if that was the only way, I tried anyway. It doesn't seem to work with the "Attatchment Manager" settings that I could find. I don't know if that's what this is anyway.

However, I've been adding it to the zone by adding file://1.1.1.5. That's the IP address of the server. I don't have a way to refer to it by name, right now, meaning I can't see it if I browse for the NETBIOS names. Maybe that's because I'm in the 2.1.1.0 subnet?

Well, here's the error:

[​IMG]

That's what it looks like. This server is a Buffalo Linkstation Live.

2. des000

des000 Thread Starter

Here's the error in another way since that didn't show up.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice