1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Server 2003 not allowing sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HelpI'mStuck, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HelpI'mStuck

HelpI'mStuck Thread Starter

We just bought a new server in my office and it's running WinServer 2003. It was running fine, but now the Server doesn't "see" the desktop computers on the network and the visa versa. All the desktop computers are still able to access the Internet through the server, so I'm sure the connection is still there. I've never had to troubleshoot a problem like this, so I'm not really sure where to begin at all. What settings can I check? Any help would be appreciated. :(

2. blin

blin

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

In addition, it may just be a browsing issue. To test this:

Double check that the domain/workgroup name on the server and workstations are still the same.

Can you manually make a network connection to the server either through the Windows Explorer (tools / map network drive) or through a cmd prompt using the "net use" command. The syntax would be something like:

Net use x: \\server\share_name

Replace X: with the drive letter you want to use and server and share_name with actual values for your network.

4. HelpI'mStuck

HelpI'mStuck Thread Starter

I appreciate your help....it turned out to be that the server IP address somehow got changed (???) Anyway, once I changed it back everything worked like a charm.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice