1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Server 2008 - DNS Server..?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ljzmcm, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ljzmcm

ljzmcm Thread Starter

Hey all,

I'm inexperienced with Windows Server 2008 and am setting up a "lab" or test server here at the company I work for's network.

In the intial configuration process, when setting up the Active Direct Domain Services, I'm stuck at the DNS server

Questions are...

-Do I install it?
    -Will this interfer/mess up things with our main file server?

Sorry, a bit amateur with this stuff

Any help is appreciated

2. ljzmcm

ljzmcm Thread Starter

Bump...

Anyone?

Thanks

3. Nix100

Nix100

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cach...+DNS+on+Windows+2008&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Sorry about the link above but this is a simple guide to setting up DNS for Small Business and it should explain the basics of installation for Windows 2008.

Once loaded please load additional Link for Doc View.

Good Luck.

P.s. To keep your existing network away from your test environment do 1 of two things...

1. Isolate the workstation test environ ment by using a different Sub-Net Mask.

2. Or simply run test setups on an Isolated workstation (Disconnected from Main Network).

Nix 100

4. avisitor

avisitor

Install DNS through dcpromo. That makes sure that the DNS is integrated with Active Directory. The server should be configured with it's DNS servers as 127.0.0.1 and your ISP's DNS servers should be set as forwarders.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/831696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice