1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows Server 2012 R2 Raid 5 Unallocated Space

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by theyamful, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theyamful

theyamful Thread Starter

We purchased a Dell PowerEdge R320 Server which has three 2 TB SAS hard drives with the hope of configuring RAID 5. However after selecting BIOS mode and re-imaging with Windows Server 2012 R2( via a USB drive) we could not realise the full RAID 5 space as there was some unusable unallocated space( about 1.6 TB). Upon research on the internet, it was suggested that the server would have to be re-imaged with the UEFI option in order to create drives greater than 2TB and to make use of the unallocated space in disk management.

However the following error is encountered when the UEFI boot option is selected:

Boot Failed:

Please ensure compatible bootable media is available. Use the system setup program to change the boot mode as needed. Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 system setup, F11 for boot manager.

Any help will be most appreciated.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Did you create the Raid-5 before you installed the System Image? So you would have, in total, a single 2TB partition.

3. theyamful

theyamful Thread Starter

Yes, RAID-5 was configured before apply the Windows Server 2012 R2 OS. Raid-5 should give us N-1( where N is the number of hard drives) so we expect 4TB after the applying the OS.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That error looks like you were trying to boot off of the USB drive. If so, that media has to be built for UEFI boot as well.

5. theyamful

theyamful Thread Starter

Exactly! How do I prepare my media to be compatible with UEFI boot?

6. zx10guy

I've never done it. So I haven't done it myself as I don't have a need with any of my Dell servers. If you have the enterprise license enabled on the iDRAC , I would go that route versus messing around with getting your USB drive UEFI configured. With iDRAC and the enterprise license, this enables the virtual console feature and allows you to do virtual media mounts. After the iDRAC is configured and communicating on the network, I almost never touch the server as I can do everything I need to via iDRAC remotely which includes installing an OS on it remotely.

I would go this route if it were me.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you clean installing Server 2012 R2 from a disc/ISO or are you restoring an already made backup image?

The Server 2012 R2 disc or ISO is already compatible.

8. zx10guy

He's trying to boot the OS installer off a USB drive...either a thumb drive or an external hard drive. One of my customers ran into this issue recently. We were unsuccessful in figuring out why he was having his thumb drive formatted to do UEFI booting. We ended up having him doing the install via the virtual media feature off the iDRAC.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The last Lenovo sever I did I loaded up from a USB flash drive made from an ISO that originally came from a disc, I believe I used RUFUS to make the USB stick.

10. theyamful

theyamful Thread Starter

In iDRAC, there are only three options under Virtual Media: detach, attach and auto-attach. How do I use the virtual media feature to do the installation?

11. theyamful

theyamful Thread Starter

I'm doing a clean installation of Server 2012 R2, I've exported the ISO file onto a flashdrive and installing the OS with it.

12. theyamful

theyamful Thread Starter

However, when I select UEFI as the bootmode and also boot select the UEFI Boot Menu and boot from the flashdrive an error msg pops up saying the OS is not compatible.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How did you "extract" the ISO?

14. zx10guy

I haven't configured virtual media from that part of the iDRAC GUI. Under the system summary, do you have a field on the right which says virtual console preview? It will have a small graphic which displays a moment in time of what the video output is of the server. On the right of that graphic are three links. One should say "Launch". Once you click on the link for Launch, your browser will download a Java applet for you to execute. Once you launch the applet, a Java pop window will come up. At the top, you'll see the virtual media tab. Click on this and you'll have a choice to connect virtual media. Once you do that, it will give you options for mapping a floppy drive, CD drive, or to mount an ISO file. If you click on mounting the ISO file, you'll get another pop up to select the file on your local PC. Once you do that, you can power up the server under the Power tab. When the server boots, the iDRAC will automatically present the virtual media you set up to the server. This is how I do all my OS installs on my servers without having to physically be at the server.

15. theyamful

theyamful Thread Starter

Thanks, your suggestion has helped resolve my issue.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice