1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows services disabled

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chezzam, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chezzam

chezzam Thread Starter

I have had this problem happen twice now - first time a few weeks ago then again yesterday. For no apparent reason, I booted up and discovered no internet connection available. There had been nothing unusual happen during my previous PC session. When I went to check out the Event Log to see if there was anything there to give me an idea of what the problem was, I found out that it was not running. So I checked out Windows Services and discovered that almost all of the Windows Services had been disabled. There were some that remained active (mostly Manually started services), but I can't remember now what they were, except that none of them appeared to be critical services. [I know, should have made a note of that!]
    As the Event Log was also disabled, I can't find anything that would indicate what may have caused this. System Restore was useless as that too had been disabled, and the restore history wiped out. When I went to change the individual services start-type (ie re-enable them to manual or automatic), I got the frequent error that "this service cannot start because the Plug and Play or another service that this one depends on is not started.". However I was able to ignore the error message and finally re-set the start-type for each and after a reboot all was well again.

The only errors logged in the Event Log at all recently are Event ID: 10005, Source: DCOM with description: 'DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service....' for both the service usnsvc (which is the Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader service) and the service StiSvc (which is WIA Device Manager). I can't see that these would have anything to do with my problem.

I have scanned for viruses etc using Trend Micro, A-Squared and AVG Anti-Spyware, but my system is apparently clean. I am concerned that something is going on here under the surface and would really like to get to the bottom of this. Its a real hassle to have to reset all the services! Any help would be appreciated.

2. The Hound

The Hound

This might apply, if you (or someone else) has used the system configuration utility recently:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/en-us

This is what caught my attention...(note the disabled services)

"Note: When you clear the Load System Services check box, you disable Microsoft services such as Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, and Error Reporting. You also permanently delete all restore points for the System Restore utility. Do not clear this check box if you want to retain your restore points for System Restore, or if you have to use a Microsoft service to test a problem."

3. chezzam

chezzam Thread Starter

Hi Hound

Tnx for getting back to me. Sounds Like a good possibility but it unfortunately doesn't apply to me - almost never use msconfig and when I do usually only for diagnostics purposes (have a better startup manager so don't need that aspect of it). I certainly haven't done anything with it that would cause this prob.

This is a weird problem and I haven't been able to find anything on the net that would help explain it. I can't believe that nobody else has experienced this problem before! There has to be someone out there who has an explanation and solution.

4. chezzam

chezzam Thread Starter

Hi Hound

Tnx for getting back to me. Sounds Like a good possibility but it unfortunately doesn't apply to me - almost never use msconfig and when I do usually only for diagnostics purposes (have a better startup manager so don't need that aspect of it). I certainly haven't done anything with it that would cause this prob.

This is a weird problem and I haven't been able to find anything on the net that would help explain it. I can't believe that nobody else has experienced this problem before! There has to be someone out there who has an explanation and solution.

5. jmwills

jmwills

Even though you have scanned, this does sound like spyware.

6. chezzam

chezzam Thread Starter

I'm not so sure. I have scanned using Trend Micro Internet Security, AVG Antispyware & a-squared, and now also Ad-Aware and Spybot, all with the latest updates - and yes I have even scanned in Safe mode - so if it is spyware, it is being very elusive.

Any other suggestions??

7. jmwills

jmwills

I know of no other activity that would go in and disable services like that. It's called "Spy" ware for a reason.....hard to detect.
    If it were me, I'd copy the data and reinstall the OS.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice