1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows setup errors (98, ME)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by njf, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njf

njf Thread Starter

I have been trying to install Windows but get a problem when the computer reboots - usually at about the time of hardware detection of regional settings (time date etc). The computer either just resets, or more commonly, I get a blue error message often with reference to the VxD. Sometimes, I get a self protection error. I also get message OE has occurred as 0028:C004E2AC - often one error message after another as if something is unstable.

The motherboard has a Duron 1.3Ghz with built in sound and graphics. I have tried switching the memory, hard drive, CD roms etc etc as I think there is some sort of conflict. I tried a diff VGA card and that didnt solve the problem either. I have also used several diff copies of 98 as well as 98 SE and ME.

I did manage (eventually) to get it to install on one HD, but when 98 runs, it is very slow/stuttery, prone to crashing/errors and won't install things without doing so (eg Office 2000).

I think it is some sort of hardware conflict but dont know what to do. The PC was taken to a shop where they tested everything to be okay.....HELP!! Dont know what to do or where to turn now!

Any further suggestsions or similar experiences most welcome!

Thanks
    Neil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice