1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows setup keeps freezing within 2mins

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Linneon, Jun 25, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Linneon

Linneon Thread Starter

I just built a PC, all new parts
    • Intel i7-9700k
    • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi
    • Corsair CX Series 850 Watt
    • Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
    • ASUS Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Fan Edition DVI-D HDMI DP 1.4
    • Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

I am trying to install Windows 10 from a usb drive but every time the setup loads up, everything freezes within 2mins of initializing. I can get through the partition selection process but it never gets far in the 2mins. I can stay on the language selection screen and it will still freeze if I wait a minute or 2.

I’ve tried it with nothing plugged except the keyboard, 1 ram stick, and the monitor running on the Onboard graphics.

I’ve re downloaded the setup files to make sure they aren’t corrupt.

I’ve likely tried more stuff but can’t remember it all because I’ve spent the better part of my day yesterday working on this.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Change your single ram stick to another one and try.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you tried using a bootable DVD instead of a bootable USB thumb drive to do a clean install of Windows 10?

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. Linneon

Linneon Thread Starter

I don’t have a CD/DVD drive installed, the case doesn’t even have a bay for one but I might be able to find an old one and try that

5. Linneon

Linneon Thread Starter

I pretty sure this was one of the other things I already tried

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Check it does not freeze while in the Bios, wait about 10 minutes. If it does you have a hardware problem, possibly the Cpu is overheating. What cooler did you fit ? What thermal paste ?

Also check that the NVMe drive is detected in the Bios. If all is ok in the Bios continue below.

Assuming you want to install Windows onto the NVMe drive disconnect the other SSD drive and any other drives if present, disconnecting the Sata data cable(s) at either end will do, then try the install again.

Delete any partitions already on the drive at the partition selection screen before continuing. Windows will create the partitions it needs automatically.

7. Linneon

Linneon Thread Starter

BIOS doesn’t freeze, both drives show up in BIOS. My plan was to have the OS on the SATA drive but I did also try disconnecting it and attempting to install it on the NVMe but no success.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You didn't answer about the cooler and paste.

The SSD drive should be slower so installing Windows onto the NVMe makes sense.

How did you make the install Usb stick ?

9. Linneon

Linneon Thread Starter

It has a Corsair Hydro cooler in it, which already had paste on it. When I check the CPU temp in the BIOS right after it freezes and I restart it is only 32c and it will stay working in BIOS indefinitely as well.

I made the usb with windows media creation tool and I remade it a 2nd time to make sure it wasn’t corrupt

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You seem to be doing everything correctly. Might be worth trying to install to the SSD with the NVMe removed.

11. Linneon

Linneon Thread Starter

tried that too

12. Linneon

Linneon Thread Starter

I was finally able to track down a DVD drive and a blank dice to burn but had the same freezing issue

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have a similar issue with a dell machine. I am thinking the motherboard is the issue at this point.

14. Linneon

Linneon Thread Starter

Unbelievable fail on my part, all it needed was a BIOS update and everything works fine.

Thank you all for the help!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice