1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows setup stops/hangs at "Registering devices"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Aquinax, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aquinax

Aquinax Thread Starter

Hello,

I am trying to install Windows XP to my old Acer Aspire 1300 notebook, and for the third or fourth time in a row the setup terminates (progress bar stops, nothing happens any more) at "Registering devices" step. I copied the setupapi.log, it is in the attachement.
    There are a lot of error messages like:

#E361 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\xactengine3_7.dll" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0110: The certificate is not valid for the requested usage.
    #E089 Failed to load the OLE Control "C:\WINDOWS\system32\xactengine3_7.dll". Error 0xc000001d: Unknown Error.
    #E291 Failed to register OLE server "C:\WINDOWS\system32\xactengine3_7.dll". Error 0xc000001d: Unknown Error.
    #-290 Processing REGISTERDLLS section [DirectXRuntimes.Register]. Binary: "%11%\XAudio2_0.dll", flags: 0x0001, timeout: 60s. ...
    ... #E357 Registration of "C:\WINDOWS\system32\XAudio2_0.dll" appears to have hung.
    #E291 Failed to register OLE server "C:\WINDOWS\system32\XAudio2_0.dll". Error 258: The wait operation timed out.

If you have a clue of what is going on, feel free to share your thoughts - any sensible comments are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Evil_Intentions

Evil_Intentions

Have you tried using the same Installation cd in another computer? There could possibly be a corrupt file.

Just my sensible comment.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

How long have you waited for that step to complete? It is always a long time. A great deal can be going on with no evidence of activity.

4. Aquinax

Aquinax Thread Starter

I just let it hang unattended for over 40 mins and the installation finished as usually. I feel sorry now for asking but I was being honest: I tried several times before and let it hang for 20-25 minutes - just not long enough as it turns out.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's all right. If I hadn't installed XP umpteen times myself, and sometimes had to wait all night for that step, I would have thought it was dead, too. The stuff going on in memory and the CPU is invisible, and it certainly looks deader than a doornail. :D

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

6. Aquinax

Aquinax Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil, you're kind. Can you as well give me a tip on how I could make USB work again. The functionality seems to have been gone after a BSOD a few months ago. I tried a program called Usbready.exe and it gave me ok on every part of the USB system but did not restore it back to work. Is there anything you could advise to do about it ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice