windows sockets initialization failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marydin

I have Windows 98 and just a couple days ago I turned on my computer and a window popped up saying "Windows Sockets Initialization Failed". The label on the window, or title or what do you call it at the top of window says JavaScan. OK so I pushed ok and most everything seems to work anyway, but cannot get onto internet. Get error message re: sockets, cannot exactly remember. Also, right after the Windows Sockets init fail msg, then a progrom called Webhancer comes up saying has performed an illegal error and will be shut down. So I say fine, i don't even know what that program is anyway, so I deleted that program thinking maybe was cause of socket problems. Well it wasn't. So I tried reinstalling windows, and still sockets initialization failed. Do you know why this may have happened and how can I fix it. I did scan for viruses using two diff programs, but last time updated was 9/17/01, so maybe wasn't totally up to date and of course could not get on internet to update it (I am using computer at work right now). :( :confused: Please let me know what to do, Thanks!!!

Webhancer may have been the cause, it alters winsock entries in the registry, and I believe also replaces the wsock32.dll Did you just delete it or remove it through Add/Remove programs?

I would suggest you immediately try restoring a registry which predates the problem. To do this, go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry which predates the problem from one of the 4 which are visible. Hopefully one or two of those still predate the issue.

If this does not work or one is not available, try the winsock2 fix posted by Del in this link:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57019&highlight=winsock2

You may also need to remove and replace the tcp\ip stack through the Network applet in the control panel.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/45.asp

marydin

Just found out what webhancer is from your link to winsock2 fix, and am infuriated at these spies!!! At any rate, I followed another link and downloaded a program called ad-aware which removes this spyware, because I tried to remove it w/ Add/Remove programs and of course it won't go away. My question is, which order should I do all this in? Should I try to fix the winsock, then remove Webhancer, or remove Webhancer first then fix the winsock. I am afraid to do it wrong and then I will not be able to use my computer at all. Also the second suggestion was to fix TCP/IP...I am not sure what or where this is, and the action recommended in your link is to remove and reinstall it...Then it says if does not work to contact vendor of 3rd party protocol stack's interface and verify stack is compatible... Who is the vendor of 3rd party protocol stack interface--is it my ISP? Am a little confused. Thanks for your help!!!:confused:

Remove Webhancer first using Ad-aware; then if you are still having problems, follow the instructions provided by Del. Test afterwards.

If you need to remove and reinstall tcp/ip, you must go to the Network applet in the Control Panel. It will be listed as one of your Protocol bindings. Higlight it, click Remove and restart. Then return to add it. You must click Add component>Protocols>Microsoft> and select it. You will need your Windows CD or to point the restore from to c:\windows\options\cabs when prompted for a disk.

Don't worry about that last part contacting "vendors" -- no help there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online