1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Static319, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

Hello all, I've just deleted SoundMax program from windows, and now my sound doesn't work. I have intergrated audio w/ my motherboard. Is there any way I can enable sound on my PC without SoundMax? Thanks for reading.

Here is the response I get when I try to play music in WMP:
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

2. Kitch

Kitch

Soundmax includes the drivers for the integrated audio, I would reinstall it.
    Was there a reason you uninstalled it?

3. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

The reason i uninstalled it was because I have been battling with BSOD for months now...And some people say that they have removed SoundMax, and the BSOD went away. I've just did a system restore and my SoundMax is back to normal. Does anyone have any tips on fixing BSOD? I've literally tried about 15 different "solutions", but none have worked.

4. valis

valis Moderator

bsod's are rather varied and can be caused by thousands of issues. One of the more frequent type is 'irq_not_equal' which generally relates to a driver issue. A corrupt driver could cause this, and I've had several clients who have had that problem via the sound cards or video cards (when not on-board).

Most likely your driver for your sound card got corrupted, now that you've uninstalled it, go to the mfg's site and reinstall a new copy, and I'd be willing to bet that your blue screen issues are through.

v

5. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

Thanks valis, I hope that the SoundMax is the problem. What is the mfg site where can I re-download it?

6. valis

valis Moderator

whoever makes your sound card. It's either going to be soundmax or the motherboard manufacturer. I would start with soundmax, but I think that they produce onboard cards for windows machines. Could be wrong, though.

click start > run > dxdiag > enter > click on the sound tab to see what sound card you have, then go google the card name for the driver and download and install it. Should work then.

v

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try going thru Windows Update and use the Custom button and then check the driver portion there might be a driver in there. Or you can go thru Add New Hardware in control panel and search for it and then install it. The best way is to have the original disks for intalling it.

8. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

If I Uninstall the whole entire SoundMax, Will I have to re-install just the driver or the SoundMax program as well?
    Also when I try to uninstall it, I get this message :
    Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Is there any way I can uninstall it?

9. Static319

Static319 Thread Starter

Can someone please help me out :(.

10. valis

valis Moderator

did you do what I asked in post 6, regarding the dxdiag?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice