Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Sound Recorder's Capabilities.

802 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  aarhus2004 
#1 ·
I have read many of the threads a search for 'Sound Recorder' reveals but I am left with questions about the actual capabilities of this software. Or the use of it.

The 'Help' option seems to suggest two options in terms of it's use. The first being:

"Recording and playing sounds by using Sound Recorder
You can use Sound Recorder to record, mix, play, and edit sounds. You can also link sounds to or insert sounds into a document.

To use Sound Recorder, you must have a sound card and speakers on your computer. If you want to record sound, you also need a microphone."

The last sentence "If you want to record sound..." maybe misleading. Under

"To record a sound

Make sure you have an audio input device connected to your computer.
Click the File menu, and then click New.
To begin recording, click .
To stop recording, click .
On the File menu, click Save As."

This appears to add a possibilitity of not only using a microphone but also a line input device (eg a cable from a sound source such as an external player -a cassette player comes to mind).

I find it confusing when confronted by the wish to record a sound from an input source the length of which may be as much as, say 30mins. The values appearing in the GUI, to the left "Position" and to the right "Length" are seemingly independant of user input. In order to make a recording of 30mins it seems[/] necessary to hover over the 'Record' button and to press this when the slider reaches the end of its travel (a matter of seconds). Obviously an unsatisfactory state of affairs.

I conclude I am missing out on some understanding here and would appreciate someone sharing and offering clarity.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello Fredledingue,

I thought that might be the answer. I did try it without any success. Glad to have it confirmed and my thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.