1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Sound Sticking

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bowmar, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bowmar

bowmar Thread Starter

Weird one guys, mate's got a PII 300, 192Mb, 60Gb Hdd, Onboard sound & Video. (Audio is CMI 8330)
    When playing music from CD or downloaded files, all is okay. Try running windows sounds or internet sound affects and it seems that the first note is played and then it jams on that note (i.e. if it played dah, it would repeat dah,dah,dah Etc). I think the soundcard is ruled out as it plays other audio types, tried taking memory out as i've come across too much memory causing sound problems in 98, but still the same. Deleted all entries in device manager, still the same.
    Short of formatting, which we really need to avoid if possible has anyone come across this or have suggestions.
    Cheers Guys

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. bowmar

bowmar Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice RSM123, already tried these remedies, problem is not when starting windows although the sound doesn't play at all on entering windows, after startup any windows sound at all jams on the first note dah,dah,dah,dah,dah style.
    Updated drivers Etc but still same problem, never seen it before and don't want to format !!!

4. panzer999

panzer999

Does it do this on all .wav files, or just the ones loaded with Windows?

Also, what player is the default player (Windows Media Player, Winamp...)?

5. bowmar

bowmar Thread Starter

Only does it with Windows .wav files, downloaded files and audio play ok. DEfault player is quicktime player.

6. panzer999

panzer999

OK, I really don't like Quicktime, and I don't use it for anything. Try assigning .wav files to run in another player and see if that helps (right-click on a .wav file, select 'Open With...' and choose another player to use, making sure 'Always use this program to open these files' is selected. You can always change it back if that doesn't work).

7. bowmar

bowmar Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Panzer, but not sure if this would affect windows sounds etc
    If i go to close windows, the shutdown tune jams on first note and keeps repeating until it closes if you see what i mean, even exclamations and stops all jam. I'll try the quicktime thing but if you confirm that this affects windows own sounds i would be grateful !!!

8. bowmar

bowmar Thread Starter

Come on guys any more suggestions ???

9. panzer999

panzer999

If you check your Media folder located in C:\WINDOWS, you'll see the sounds Windows uses and they are .wav files. And if Quicktime is the default player for .wav files, then I think it would affect those sounds :)

I do have another idea that might help. Try turning the sound acceleration in DirectX all the way down. Also, if you right-click on the speaker icon in the task bar, choose 'Adjust Audio Properties', click the 'Advanced' tab under 'Playback', and click 'Performance', you can turn acceleration down there as well.

These are just things to try...surely someone else has other suggestions here.....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice