1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows sounds will not play.....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by danielno8, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

Hi,. i for some reason cannot get my windows sounds to play. In the control panel/sounds and audio devices box, it is set to play them. But for soem reason doesnt. It also doesnt preview them. All other sound play, and when i manually play the files via c:/windows/media they play fine through windows media player. Can anyone help with this?? I have also noticed i can't seem to get sounds to play through webpages. For example, www.ebaumsworld.com, none of the sounds from there will play. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Dan

P.S windows XP Pro

2. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

anyone!??!

3. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

Pretty Please?

4. rude

rude

Which WMP do you use,and have you ever been able to play the files form the site in your link?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have NeroMix or any Adobe products?

6. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

rude..... i use wmp 9 series, and yeh the site used to play sound....theres also another thing that doesnt play sound, MSN messenger, and this is even though it is on the setting to play a sound when contacts come online or there is a message recieved..

elvandil....i use nero 6 ultra adition, i don't know about this neromix?? also i have adobe photo deluxe and adobe acrobat reader both instakked....

Thank you for the reply, if you need any more info, please ask....

thank you

Dan

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have Nero Ultra, you must have NeroMix. It is that ugly player that somes as one of the 4 downloads.

In any case, try the fix.

Go to Start > Run, and type: regedit

Close the whole tree down by clicking on the minus signs until you have just the few main sections, one of which HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Click directly on it.

Right-click on the entry in the right pane (the (Default): REG_SZ entry) and remove it. You will get a message saying "Unable to delete...." It will be replaced automatically. Close regedit (or regedt32). Try your sounds.
    The faulty entry often results from the installation of Corel software, Adobe Premier, or NeroMix.

8. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

i did what u suggested and it did not work!!!

should i have rebooted after i did it??

if not, any other suggestions??

thanks for the reply!

Dan

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it were going to work, no reboot should be necessary. What is the entry in your registry at that location?

Does your computer play the startup and shutdown sounds OK?

What file types have you tried (mp3, wav, mid, any others)?

Exactly where do the sounds play and where don't they?

Most of the sounds on that site seem to be mp3's. Can you play mp3's in your Media Player?

The sounds used by the messenger are .wav sounds. Can you play .wav files in the player?

10. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

registry entry is the same at that location as in all...

name = (Default)
    type= (REG_SZ)
    Data = (Value not set)

it doesnt play the startup or shutdown or log off sounds. or error beeps, or the little noise it makes when u right-click with the mouse! I haventy noticed any sounds at all other than when i play music.All my mp3's play, and it plays the windows and messenger sounds if i go to the folder and play the .wav's through media player. in control panel/sound it will not play them if i try the little preview bit under the sounds tab. ANy other suggestions?? thanks for the reply, i appreciate it!

Dan

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have Ulead DVD PictureShow 2.0 installed, go here for the patch:

http://www.ulead.com/tech/dps/dps_ftp.htm

If you have TweakUI for XP installed, go to its General tab and be sure "Beep On Errors" is checked.

Come back if those don't help.

12. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

i installed TweakUI to do the beep on error thing, but the box was already checked!!!

i don't have that DVD player installed!

Thank you for all your help so far, any more ideas i would be very greatful!!

Thanks

Dan

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Anything show as trouble in Device Manager? Try right-clicking Audio Codecs under Sounds and choosing Update.

Run: msconfig and be sure that "Normal Startup" is checked.

14. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

everything is fine in device manager, and same with msconfig, its not on normal startup but only because i am stopping one of my progs from running on startup....

any other ideas?? or is it time to get the XP CD out n re-install?!?!?!

Dan

15. rude

rude

You could try this:

Start/Run Type:gpedit.msc

Navigate to User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Media Player/Networking.

On the right pane,right click Streaming Media Protocols and set to Not Configured

See if this helps with playing sounds from web pages

If this doesn't work,try this:

Start/Run Type:services.msc
    Scroll down to:
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service,make sure it's set to Manual
    Plug and Play,make sure it's set to Automatic
    Portable Media Serial Number,make sure it's set to Automatic
    WebClient,make sure it's set to Automatic
    Windows Audio,make sure it's set to Automatic

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/225916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice