1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Splash to black screen with mouse pointer...Mup.sys hang

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GATJA, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GATJA

GATJA Thread Starter

My computer (Dell Dimension 2350 running Windows XP SP2, no new hardware or software added in years) turns on, asks me if I want to 'Start Windows Normally', 'Last Known Good Config' and 3 different Safe Modes. It doesn't matter which one I pick, it always starts the Windows splash screen, then goes to a black screen with my mouse pointer (which I can move, but cannot right or left click). Also, the keyboard controls don't seem to work, no ctrl+alt+del, nothing (though if I press shift 5 times it gives me the beep atleast letting me know the keyboard is working). Safe Modes do something a little different, but end up in the same place as the other modes. Safe mode will hang on Mup.sys for a long while before it goes to the black screen with the mouse pointer.

I have pulled off the user files (pictures, documents and so on) while connecting the drive to a different computer and making it a slave. Also while it was connected to the other computer, I ran MalwareBytes on it. It found a trojan on that drive and cleaned it up. I thought that may be it, so it booted the hd as a master in it's own box. I still get the same thing as before (black screen with mouse pointer).

I made a BartPE boot CD and booted the computer to that. I ran a chkdsk on it then restarted with a normal boot. I still got the same black screen and mouse pointer. I booted with BartPE again and checked to see if Explorer.exe existed anymore. It was there.

Now I am stuck. I think it may be something in the registry, but I am not sure. I found something on the internet saying to check if you have these 2 registry entries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe) and to delete them if you do, but I didn't have those in my registry.

Can I save this hard drive or do I have to put a fresh install of the OS on it?

2. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail

If you have a Windows disk available you can try doing a windows repair. The mup.sys hang is quite common on some of the older dell laptops with the same symptoms you describe I can normally boot an XP cd and do a windows repair to fix the problem.

3. GATJA

GATJA Thread Starter

All I have is the XP reinstall disk from Dell. I tried it, but it only lets me reinstall and do a couple other things. I can't find anything that repairs or fixes in it's menu. I also read that you can hit 'r' to get into a recovery console, but when I hit r when I have the install screen up, nothing happens.

4. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  5. GATJA

GATJA Thread Starter

Ok, found an XP disk. I did a FIXBOOT and a FIXMBR and....nothing changed. When I did the FIXMRB it told me that the drive seemed to be missing something, but whatever it did, it didn't fix it. And it still hangs at Mup.sys.

I already ran a chkdsk through my BartPE boot up. Does anyone know if that is the same as the chkdsk /r ran in the Windows Recovery Console? Or should I just do it through Windows Recover for fun and giggles?

I am about ready to wipe it an reinstall XP...

6. GATJA

GATJA Thread Starter

I tried chkdsk /r this morning. It said it found 1 or more errors and fixed them. When I rebooted, I just got the same options to boot Windows and the same black screen with the mouse pointer...I think it may be time to give up.

7. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice