1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Standby Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by senior geek, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior geek

senior geek Thread Starter

I have a computer with Win XP home sp2 that I use the S3 mode to put the system in standby. There are times it will not come out of standby and I have to unplug the system and than turn it back on to get windows to come up. Just turning the computer off does not work I have to unplug it first. When it does not come out of suspend every thing on the computer seems to be running but the screen is blank. I use the key board any key to bring the system out of standby.

I went in to the event viewer and clicked on the Microsoft web site to see if they had a resolution for the problem. So typical I have noticed with their support web site that it dosen't tell you squat about most particular problems.

Anyone have an idea about resolving this problem?

Thanks

senior geek

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You do not mention if this is a laptop or desktop. but from the description I would assume a desktop system.

Standby and Hibernation modes are primarily designed for laptop hardware.

That is not to say they will not work correctly with desktop systems, but my experience has been that many are unreliable at best when using the modes.

This is partially hardware but often software related (drivers) as I see it. For this reason I never use Standby or Hibernate for reasons of reliability.

It is a case of "if it works, it works" I guess, but in some hardware and driver combinations it may never work correctly in desktop systems.

The best you could do is renew all the motherboard and video drivers (not the BIOS, stay away from that). Or just use a complete shutdown.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice