1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows start menu is gone! system restore giving weird message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Domahai, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Domahai

Domahai Thread Starter

Help!

After I rebooted my computer a few things occured.

1. Logining took extremely long time...
    2. after a long time finally desktop appeared however my start menu bar was gone!
    3. the icons on desktop are unmovable...I can click on them and run them but cannot move them!

I have tried the following:

1. Ran spybot search and destroy - found nothing
    2. Tried to access housecall online virus scan and it doesn't work
    3. Since I don't have my start menu bar...I can't even get to control panel..so to access system restore I have to ctrl-alt-del and then click file--> run...and type in cmd. Once in command prompt i goto c:\windows\system32\restore\ and type rstrui.exe from command prompt. Once I do that I get this message appearing saying

"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again."

to me that doesn't sound right...

4. I tried it in safe mode as well....and there is no start menu bar is there. but I can't expand it...its just a line at the bottom of the screen...unlike normal mode however there is a hint of the start menu bar......however I have to right click on it and goto properties and activate "show quick launch" then i can expand the start menu and I can actually click the "start" button.

I don't know what is wrong....I can only remember that I installed adobe flash player and that was pretty much the last thing I did on the computer prior to this.

Please help as soon as possible as this happens to be the "server" computer at work and all the saved files are on this computer. Other people on the network access their files saved on this computer.

Is this a spyware or malware of somesort? I have been searching the net and found minimal help.

Any suggestions and help very much appreciated...and not it is very time sensative!!! thank you all in advance. My msn messenger is [email protected]....I would prefer to have help real time for this nasty issue if possible...thank you!

2. Chitownuser

Chitownuser

I'm having an almost identical issue right now as this.....in my case, my anti-viral software (Norton's) is knocked out and I've lost the ability to launch IE7 as well. I've got a post in the security forum with some help from one of the mods here, but thus far, still not resolved. You may want to follow that one however.....put it there because I originally thought it was viral. May not be.....topic is "ummmm, where'd the taskbar go?"

3. royalflush69

royalflush69

alright bro here is wat u need to do and this is very simple all u have to do is grab the XP disc off your system admin and then stick it in and click on repair it will keep everything that is on your computer and it will fix up the problems u r having. i no cause this has happened to me a couple of times and this always fixes it

4. blaine2521

blaine2521

Go to administrative tools, then services. Scroll down to system restore, Make sure this is enabled. That may be why your S/R isnt working..

5. Chitownuser

Chitownuser

Actually, in my case, S/R is enabled, I just get the same error as the OP that Windows cant use S/R and needs to reboot...I do and get the same error again. Endless loop. In my case, almost all system tools from control panel, etc. are completely invisible. I can invoke them from the command line but anything that pops up is either blank/invisible or generates an error.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/573920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice