1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows start up items

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Toyman, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

In windows 95, 98 and ME to take programs out of start up you go to the run command and type msconfig and uncheck the ones you don't want running. How do you manage them in windows 2000? Any help would be greatly apprceciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Win2k only loads programs from the registry and from the start-up folder. To remove from the start-up folder just open it and delete anything you do not want. To edit the registry go to start > run > regedit. Once in the editor go to HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current version > Run. Highlight and delete anything you do not want. Check the key for Current user as well as Local Machine. Check the run once key also. Prior to deleting anything export the key you are working on so that if you mess up the registry you can just import that key back and you will be right back where you started from.
    I have seen a link to an msconfig file for win2k. Sorry I do not have the link handy. This would be easier if you are unsure about editing the registry.

3. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

crjdriver, thanks..............worked like a charm.
    A thousand thanks.

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

5. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

Thanks buck, i'll check it out........

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice