1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows start up programmes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chrislo, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrislo

chrislo Thread Starter

I recently lost all the icons in the windows start up taskbar tray. I don't know how it happened? The one I was most use is the speaker icon to open volume control.
    I have now recovered this but before doing so I have managed to include the volume control in the windows start up programmes when logging on!
    I cannot find how to stop it loading? There are no programmes showing in the start up folder on the start menu?
    Help for a geriatric novice
    Chris

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Drag it from the start up folder to the desktop or just delete from the folder.

3. chrislo

chrislo Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, but I do not have the programme showing anywhere. It is not on the taskbar tray or in the start up folder?
    I originally added the programme from settings, taskbar&start menu, and add progamme?
    Regards

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

That was for the volume you said was in the startup.

For the others, is it the systray on the right or the quick launch on the left? If the quick launch, right click the taskbar and select the ones you want. If the systray, usually just restarting your system wil solve it.

5. chrislo

chrislo Thread Starter

Hi
    It all began with my system tray on the right, all the icons disappeared from there? I tried to re insert my volume icon by adding it to the taskbar start up, I later found I only needed to check the box in the multi media window!
    Since adding the programme to the taskbar, the volume controls open every time I log on, but the programme is not displayed in the system tray?
    Thanks for your time

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Go to start>run>type msconfig>start tab>are the programs to the icons you are missing listed and checked here?

Have to go to work, will check back later.

7. chrislo

chrislo Thread Starter

Hello again

I have gone into msconfig, the lost programmes are still checked in the boxes but cannot see the volume control programme anywhere?
    I really appreciate your interest and assistance.
    Bye from a very cold UK

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Start button, settings, control panel, multimedia, place a check mark in the box that says to show volume control on the taskbar.

Also, I can't seem to figure out if you've solved any of the original problems? Is the volume settings program still appearing on startup?

If so, post your start up items:

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and press ok....go to software, startup, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

9. rkselby98

rkselby98

10. chrislo

chrislo Thread Starter

Hello again

Just to clarify my latest position!
    I am still getting the volume controls opening when logging on but they are not displayed in the start up folder.
    I have managed to re insert the volume icon into the taskbar tray by checking the box as suggested, but there are no other icons displayed in there?
    I have pasted the information below as requested, these appear to be all the missing programmes, but cannot see the elusive volume control!
    There is one thing that may be a clue, I recently installed Macfee cleaner and have just upgraded to AOL 7 in last few days.

Msinfo:
    Microsoft IntelliType Pro Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\KEYBOARD\SpeedKey.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe

Once again thanks a million for your time.

Chris

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What other icons do you want on the taskbar? The less, the better. You can open any program you wish to from the start menu.

Also, try unchecking the keyboard item in the msconfig and see if the volume control program stops opening.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice