1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows startup failure

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by J3deff, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. J3deff

J3deff Thread Starter

I have an ASUS K60IJ laptop in which Windows 7 will start on battery, but not with the charger plugged in. If the charger is plugged in, it will cause the computer to reboot continously. I have tried a new charger with the same results so it is not the charger. The computer will run in BIOS boot with battery and charger connected. But if the charger remains connected during windows startup, it will reboot. I have tried with the battery removed from the computer with the same results. I have run PC cleaner software and Norton 360 without solving the problem. Since the computer will run in BIOS with the charger connected, I am thinking it is a startup virus. I would like to know if others have similar problems with possible solutions.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Does it work if you connect the charger AFTER Win7 has started?

3. J3deff

J3deff Thread Starter

No, I have tried several times to plug in the charger with windows running at different points. It causes the laptop to stop and reboot. If the laptop is in safemode, the charger doesn't cause the laptop to reboot. But once it is out of safemode, and windows startup gets to the point of the windows logo coming up, it causes the laptop to reboot, or restart might be a better description.

4. Fisher783

Fisher783

When you plug your charger in, while logged into win7. Does it just turn off straight away and restart, or go through the shutdown sequence of closing your programs etc?

5. J3deff

J3deff Thread Starter

Shuts down right away. I have thought it might be a hardware problem, except it works when in initial Bios boot or safe mode up to the beginning of Windows start.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try DOS and a live Linux.

I think it it when the Windows Power driver kicks in.

7. Fisher783

Fisher783

I think it will be either a hardware problem or a internal power issue. If anything is being short circuited then you will see your computer just turn off. Check if you can change any of the power settings via bois but i recommend [edit]NOT changing any as of yet.

You can find various way of running a side OS e.g. linux, some do xp as well. This way maybe able to get a better diagnostic.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice