1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Startup Takes Ages Depending on the Boot Device

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vynbos, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vynbos

vynbos Thread Starter

Please help with a strange problem. If I start Windows 7 with only one drive attached (my 2Ter SATA with Win7 on the 1st partition) it sits for 20 minutes on the 'Starting Windows' screen, then opens as normal (the event viewer 'performance diagnostics' doesn't even register a '100 Event ID' so it is of no help). There seems to be little or no HD or CPU activity during this long waiting period. If I boot with my second hard drive also present and use it as my first boot device (my old XP installation, that is on the 1st partition of that drive, begins the boot process), Windows 7 loads in less than a minute, and Disk Management flags the XP partition as 'system'. So it seems to me that all the usual trouble-shooting approaches for a slow boot (de-frag, clean-boot, disable security software, check disk errors, check for faulty RAM, remove all peripherals etc) do not apply (though I have tried all this. My bios is up to date). I have tried the start up dozens of times and, without fail, I get the same outcome. Less than 1 minute with 2 HDs, 20 minutes with 1 HD. Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1 OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , Service Pack 1, 32 bit Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 Processor Count: 2 RAM: 3454 Mb Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT , 128 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 59991 MB, Free - 24599 MB; D: Total - 1847733 MB, Free - 883265 MB; Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD, MS-7176, REV:A, Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Disabled

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice