1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows stored passwords?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Bud Norris, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bud Norris

Bud Norris Thread Starter

When you access a web site and you want to enter a password Windows always asks if you want Windows to remember this password. If you say yes then the next time you access the web site the password you entered previously will automatically appear in the password box.
    Now this is not a "user logon password". It can be changed by just entering a new password in the box. BUT somewhere Windows stores this password even if it's temporary. So where does Windows store or save this password. (It's NOT a user logon password?).
    There are lots of threads about "user logon password" storage and how to change or remove but none are about this "remembered" password. Does anyone know where this password is kept? I would like to check to make sure any old kept passwords are removed.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

The passwords are encrypted in the registry, so you wouldn't be able to read them.

Try the free IE PassView.

For Firefox, there's PasswordFox.

3. Bud Norris

This IEpassview may be free to download but if I install it I am installing so many advertizing and spam mail sites that I would go crazy. I will not use it. Thanks anyway!

4. Phantom010

What did you click on exactly? I tried it myself and there's absolutely no spam whatsoever. NirSoft has always been trustworthy and provides many useful tools.

THIS is what you need to download. The program doesn't even require any installation. You only need to unzip it and run the executable file.

IE PassView does exactly what it's designed to do, for free, no ads, no anything.

5. Bud Norris

I downloaded it from nir something or other and received 'setup.exe'. I run this and it wanted to install the file. It began asking me to agree to be emailed by some locations and to agree to have my info scaned, etc. After about four windows I decided to quit. I don't need all the "agree" bull crap.
    Now how do you jusr run the file without installing?

6. Bud Norris

OK. Ididn't think about downloading a zip file and extracting the executable. Now that you informed me to do that it works without installing.
    Thank you very much!

7. Phantom010

You're welcome! :)

Let me know if it does what you're looking for.

8. Bud Norris

My son's email at ATT Yahoo was hijacked and spam was being sent to all of his contacts. So we had to change his password to stop it.
    He uses Yahoo Messenger all the time. But after changing his password, since Messenger is integrated into his mail account, the password for messenger kept autocompleting his password with an old password and we couldn't change it. So since the password is stored somewhere when you ask Windows to remember it I wanted to remove the old password so that the new one would autocomplete.
    However we ended up completly removing Messenger and reinstalling it. Then when we opened it it asked for the new password and stored it so it now "seems" to work OK with the new password.
    However I've learned over the years that what works today may well not work tommorow so we'll see.

Thanks again for your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice