Windows stuck on "Starting windows" screen

cyberpac9

Got a BSOD relating to aswnethub.sys which is avast. I updated the program when I rebooted. Avast needed to reboot after the update. Now, I'm stuck on the loading screen. I've forced a reboot and tried safe mode and safe mode with command prompt. When going that route it gets stuck at the driver aswardisk.sys, again an avast driver. I've tried last good configuration and it still gets stuck.

I need a repair disk in order to try the repair option. (I have my oem disk, will that work?) Also, is there a way to turn off the pc rather than forcing a reboot, until I figure out how to fix this?

Or can you find Avast's install location and rename its folder using the command prompt so Windows can no longer start the application on startup. If you need help going about renaming the folder, just let me know.

cyberpac9

Or can you find Avast's install location and rename its folder using the command prompt so Windows can no longer start the application on startup. If you need help going about renaming the folder, just let me know.
I don't know if I have a restore point as I can't get in. I was attempting, via cmd prompt, to rename the offending driver but loading safe mode with prompt gets stuck at the offensive driver.

Dont press "Safe Mode With Command Prompt". Instead:
  1. Power on your computer
  2. BEFOREWindows finishes attepmting a proper startup, force a shutdown by holding the power button.
    1. For best results, do this immediately after your computer POSTs aka as soon as you see a spinning loading circle at the bottom half of your screen.
  3. Do the above 3 times until you get to a blue menue screen prompting you to "Choose an option"
  4. Press "Troublshoot" > "Advanced Options" > "Command Prompt"20200929_124721_HDR.jpg20200929_124739_HDR.jpg20200929_124753_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

cyberpac9

@LinxSupport - thanks for the info, in all my years I've never heard of that option. Good to know.

An update - I left the machine sitting at "loading windows" overnight and today I see I'm at my login prompt. Since I know it's avast causing the problem, do you think it's ok to login and immediately uninstall avast?

Removing Avast should not cause any issues. If you can gain access to be able to do so, by all means, make the attempt

cyberpac9

Did it work?
I tried yesterday....everything is very slow to load (I enter my login and it hangs while it loads the apps). I was impatient and tried to uninstall while things loaded and got an error. I rebooted, let windows load overnight, logged in this morning, let everything finish booting and tried to uninstall. Get same message:

Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed

Since it's a fresh reboot, nothing should be uninstalling.

Try what I had said before

Dont press "Safe Mode With Command Prompt". Instead:
  1. Power on your computer
  2. BEFOREWindows finishes attepmting a proper startup, force a shutdown by holding the power button.
    1. For best results, do this immediately after your computer POSTs aka as soon as you see a spinning loading circle at the bottom half of your screen.
  3. Do the above 3 times until you get to a blue menue screen prompting you to "Choose an option"
  4. Press "Troublshoot" > "Advanced Options" > "Command Prompt"View attachment 281294View attachment 281295View attachment 281296

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
cyberpac9:

Is your computer running Windows 7 or Windows 10?
You posted in the Windows 7 forum, but LinxSupport submitted images which are associated with Windows 10.

You say you have the original OEM disc, so I'm going to assume you have a factory-brand computer and not a self-built computer.
If that's correct, what is its brand name and model name and model number and serial number?
What is the exact Windows version on the disc?

-------------------------------------------------

cyberpac9

I'm back, I didn't realize there were responses, apologies. It's a custom built machine running windows 7, I bought oem from Newegg. I found my recovery disk and inserted it into the DVD. Because the reboot takes so long I shut it down yesterday and planned on booting today and selecting to boot from the disk. However, today when I push the power button (or reset button on the tower), it does not turn on at all. Am I completely screwed now?

Windows is installed on a SSD. Is there a way to get it to power up other than the power button?

cyberpac9:

Is your computer running Windows 7 or Windows 10?
You posted in the Windows 7 forum, but LinxSupport submitted images which are associated with Windows 10.

You say you have the original OEM disc, so I'm going to assume you have a factory-brand computer and not a self-built computer.
If that's correct, what is its brand name and model name and model number and serial number?
What is the exact Windows version on the disc?

-------------------------------------------------
Oops, I didn't realize this was in the Windows 7, sorry about that

plodr

Liz
Be very careful if you attempt to bypass the power button.
Here's how:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online