Windows stuck on "Starting windows" screen

Before you attempt to bypass the power button, can you elaborate on what you mean by it wont turn on?

1. Do the fans spin?
  2. Are any LEDs on or blinking?
  3. Is there an audible beep coming from the system?
  4. Does your moniter display the image you normally see when turning on the system and freeze there?
What do you mean by it doesn't turn on?

cyberpac9

@LinxSupport - when you push the power button, nothing. Just like if it were an empty computer case. I push it and nothing.

@plodr - instead of trying that route, I checked the power cable, I made sure it was pushed in all the way, I plugged it into another outlet....nothing worked. I ordered another power supply, thinking it might be dead. I just now installed the new power supply and got the same result. The button does nothing. What else could it be - the button on the actual case is defective? Something with the motherboard? Other cables to check?

plodr

Liz
All you've listed are possible:
1. Bad power button
2. Motherboard problem(s)
3. Cable or motherboard connector bad

cyberpac9

All you've listed are possible:
1. Bad power button
2. Motherboard problem(s)
3. Cable or motherboard connector bad
Tips on diagnosing or next steps? I can take the front of the case off and see the back of the button, is there a way to mimic pressing the button from behind the front? I'll assume motherboard last as far as diagnostic purposes go (unless you have tips). The two cables I checked came from the psu to the motherboard. I put new cables in with the new psu I just ordered, so I'm certain those are connected. Anything else I can check on the motherboard to see if it is connected properly? I mean, I guess I can go through each cable and make sure it is seated properly.

plodr

Liz
is there a way to mimic pressing the button from behind the front
Sorry I don't know.

I don't know about motherboards - I've never had a problem so I've never replaced one.

cyberpac9

Ok, I'm going to see if I can find a way to mimic pushing the power button if I remove the front of the case.

Try this instead. You said when you push your Power Button and Reset Button and get no response. Typically those are both parts of your Front Panel Connector Cable. Typically those cables are individual wires you manually put into the connector.

1. Remove you front banel connector from the motherboard
  2. Ensure all wire are properly seated and they are in the right spot, it is possible they shifted or got removed somehow.
  3. Attempt to power on and report back

cyberpac9

@LinxSupport - I want to make sure I understand. The cable from the power button, you want me to disconnect it from the motherboard? Make sure all cables are seated correctly. Then plug the cable back into the motherboard and power on?

cyberpac9

I tried a new psu, no change. I put in a new cmos battery, no change. I believe all cables are attached to the motherboard just fine but am going to check again to be certain.

cyberpac9

Update - I switched the cables from the power button and the reset button on the motherboard (I plugged the reset cable into the power slot on the motherboard and vice-versa). Hitting the reset button turned on the computer! First time in weeks.

Now, more questions:
  1. Does this confirm the problem is with the case and the buttons not working?
  2. I still have issues from before to figure out: uninstall avast and fix windows (repair).

Update - I switched the cables from the power button and the reset button on the motherboard (I plugged the reset cable into the power slot on the motherboard and vice-versa). Hitting the reset button turned on the computer! First time in weeks.

Now, more questions:
  1. Does this confirm the problem is with the case and the buttons not working?
  2. I still have issues from before to figure out: uninstall avast and fix windows (repair).
Alright, so if the computer powers on, your problem was probably a faulty power button. You can still test that by powering on the computer and seeing if the power button now restarts the computer but it confirms your problem has something to do with your cables or your case - no precise answer to that one yet without further diagnosis.

However, for your problems with Avast. When on the screen which gives the option to boot into Safe Mode, instead of booting into Safe Mode does clicking "Repair Computer" do anything??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online