1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows suddenly acting slow.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tacocaster, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tacocaster

Tacocaster Thread Starter

I recently upgraded from Home to Pro and ever since then it Windows has on occasion run very sluggishly. I noticed this first when i had logged back into my computer from the switch users screen. So I was not logged off, just at the login screen. Anyways, it took almost a complete thirty seconds for all of my windows (AIM, Media Player) and desktop icons to pop back up. It had never done this in the past. After that I restarted the comp and windows tried to shut down CCAPP.EXE I believe. I honestly wasn't paying that much attention to it.

So any ideas as to what might be causing this? If i need to post an Ad Aware or Hijack this log file I can do that. I will also provide any other info that you request.

XP Pro
    512 DDR RAM
    3.06 GHZ P4
    Dell laptop :(

2. mobo

mobo

Yes please do so as well as do an online scan here .

3. Wirelessguy

Wirelessguy

have you noticed if your machine is running a virus scan and that causes it to slow down? Try a ctrl-alt-del and see what processes are using cpu threads and then you can stop processes one at a time.
    If you have an antivirus, make sure you have the latest updates and run a full scan after shutting down system restore.

4. Tacocaster

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 4:55:01 PM, on 10/2/2003
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://campus.umr.edu/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = http://localhost;
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DadApp] C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .mov: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,72/mcinsctl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.installengine.com/engine/isetup.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37886.0077199074
    O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,16/mcgdmgr.cab

I do run Norton Antivirus, but I don't think it is running in the background.

5. Tacocaster

I just ran Antivirus on the machine and it came out clean.

6. mobo

mobo

Is your system heating up at all that you know of ? If it is heating up it will slow down somewhat even with a pentium 4 processor.

7. mobo

mobo

In your first post you mentioned norton's ccapp.exe file giving some trouble...You could try deleting it from your system and reinstalling it

Open the Windows Control Panel and double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
    Select "Norton Utilities x.0 for Windows" and click Add/Remove (where x is the version number).
    Follow the prompts to remove the program.

8. Tacocaster

I don't believe the processor is heating up. Everything seems to run fine after all of the windows load up. Somtimes if I minimize something and there are windows behind it it will take awhile to load those. I will try uninstalling norton and reinstalling it.

*edit*
    I'll have to reinstall Norton when I go home next weekend. Stupid college and me forgetting things at home. Maybe I can find a ripped copy.

9. mobo

mobo

In addition use the Norton clean sweep utility, speed disk as well as take a screen shot of your task manager showing the running processes..

To post a screen shot first bring up the task manager theen click the print screen button then go to paint and click on edit then paste. Click save and save it as a jpeg the in your next post click on the browse button and attach the photo..

10. Tacocaster

screenshot:

Attached Files:

11. mobo

mobo

I would start by going to start/ run / msconfig and untick speed disk and ghost service. Then go to control panel, administartive tools, services and scroll down to ghost as well as speed disk and double click each , set to manual , apply and stop.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice