1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows\System 32\Config\Software File Missing or Corrupt

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MsWright, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MsWright

MsWright Thread Starter

My daughter shut my computer down over the weekend and when I started it up yesterday, I received an Error message that said File is Missing or Corrupt. Please help!
    How do i fix this problem? I desperately need my computer. I have googled some solutions and I came across your website. PLEASE HELP! I CAN'T FUNTION WITHOUT MY COMPUTER.

2. zinduar

zinduar

What is error message exactly?

3. MsWright

MsWright Thread Starter

Windows can't start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
    Windows\System32\Config\System try to recover using XP cd

4. MsWright

MsWright Thread Starter

I am not home at my computer. But my daughter is there and when she boots up the computer is is trying to reinstall XP, which I don't want to do because I don't want to reload my software and files again.

5. zinduar

zinduar

You wrote that "Windows can't start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
    Windows\System32\Config\System" This shows only file path. I think, you forget to give us that the file name which is coprupted.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A reinstall does not normally require you to reinstall personal files or programs -- only updates that followed the orginal installation.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you want to try another approach, it is covered here:

Directions are given here:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

There are several things to note about this operation.

1 > it is not a "reinstall" of Windows, but a method of accessing System Restore.

2 > all command lines are one line with appropriate spacing -- the doc file does not always reflect this.

3 > you must complete all 3 parts for it to be a proper restore.

4 > in the first part of this document you are given the command:

copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

you may get a "file not found" when running this command. If you do, substitute this command instead:

copy C:\windows\repair\system.bak C:\windows\system32\config\system

5 > if you attempt a "repair/reinstall" first, you cannot perform this procedure; if you perform this procedure first and it does not resolve the problem, you will need to restore the backed up copies of the registry hives (to a "tmp" folder) that you made in the first part of the procedure -- or you will lose the installation information for previously installed programs when you do the reinstall.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice