1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows System Diagnostics

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by maxyclass, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxyclass

maxyclass Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I did a system diagnostic check on my system (Windows Vista Business SP2) and have attached the report as a zipped html file.
    Could anyone please help me analyse and let me know how to go about correcting the error states in them? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. joeten

joeten

Hi please look in device manager and see if you have error flags either a yellow ! or red Xs, how much ram do you have installed on this system what is your graphics card ie onboard,you appear to need drivers from what the report says also ram,and windows does not see any security programs

3. maxyclass

maxyclass Thread Starter

ok. there are yellow caution signs against the PCI COMMUNICATIONS CONTROLLER and UNKNOWN DEVICE. Both of these are under the OTHER DEVICES category.
    I have 1GB of RAM installed though a msinfo32 check shows me that 991MB is available.
    I have an inbuilt S3 Prosavage DDR 32MB graphics adapter.
    The thing is - I have tried, severally to get the needed drivers but i have not been able to get at it. The hardware ID for the PCI comm device is PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3068&SUBSYS_E0041631&REV_80
    while that for the unknown device is ACPI\MTC0003.
    In my research, i got to learn that the first has to do with an input device (mouse). There is a directional "joystick" on my PC inbetween the leftand right mouse buttons that isnt working though. (i have attached a pix).
    Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

4. joeten

joeten

Hi ok your ram is a bit lean for vista it works better with 2Gb as to your missing device i found this but I can't say for definite that it is correct
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/device_for_make_model.php?modelId=800&deviceDescriptionId=31371&manufacturerId=14444&providerId=14444&hwid=PCI%5CVEN_1106%26DEV_3068%26SUBSYS_E0041631%26REV_80 the other I will have to keep looking
    Edit this may be something http://members.driverguide.com/driv...erId=30062&providerId=30062&hwid=ACPI\MTC0003

5. maxyclass

maxyclass Thread Starter

hey joeten, thanks for the reply. driverguide is asking for login credentials though. i assume you are a member and would recommend for me to be one?

6. joeten

joeten

7. maxyclass

maxyclass Thread Starter

i v updatd from packard bell's website so much that i even have the diagnostic utility and the seagate tool. there isnt anything left in there. I am begining to think that today's technology is way too ahead of what packard bell E1245 can cope with. Guess the only OS that will really be hitch-free wit it will be reliable-old-XP. lol.
    Thanks man.
    Cheers.

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The PCI Communications Controller is your Dialup Modem
    The ACPI\MTC0003 device is the Scroll Bar driver, for the 4-way scroll button in the Touchpad.

Packard Bell has XP drivers, but I don't see any Vista Drivers.

The XP Drivers are on this page:
    http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=PB07400001&g=2000

You might check the Synaptic website, see if the generic XP/Vista driver will work:
    http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers

The Modem is a SmartLink 56K modem. They went out of business in 2005, acquired by Conextant, but looks like the XP driver is the last available.

More info at ModemSite.

You don't have to pay to join DriverGuide, but I didn't find any Vista drivers, just the same XP drivers that the Packard Bell site has.

HTH

Jerry

9. joeten

joeten

Thanks The outcaste

10. maxyclass

maxyclass Thread Starter

The outcaste, thanks a lot. I feel like i have been given a full dose of PCI communication devices right about now. lol. That was very enlightening. I am about implementing your advise. will give feedback wen am done.
    Thanks joeten. You've been too kind.

11. joeten

joeten

No problem it is why we are here

12. maxyclass

maxyclass Thread Starter

ok, vdone the installation of the drivers from the packard bell site - turns out i wasnt as thorough as i thought i was. they were starring at me right there. At least the modem driver took care of the PCI COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE error. The Scrollbar driver however did not install normally. I installed the synaptics driverand the installation went smoothly. It is operational now and the device manager shows it as the active mouse/pointing device driver. The directional button though isnt still working.

Any other ideas people?

13. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I was afraid the generic synaptics driver wouldn't support the directional button.
    On my HP I have the same functionality by using the edge of the touchpad as a scrollbar. Check in Control Panel | Mouse. There should be a Synaptics Device Settings tab. Click that, then click the Settings button. On the left there should (hopefully) be a section named Virtual Scrolling.

Won't get the button working, but if Virtual Scrolling works, it sure beats having to move to the scroll bars and click on them.

14. maxyclass

maxyclass Thread Starter

@the outcaste. ok. the virtual scrolling worked for the scroll bars but only fora while.I boot up my system two days ago and the touchpad is not responding. I have to restart and finally uninstalled the synaptics pointer application using keyboard shortcuts. Now i have it uninstalled and i have my touchpad working as before but the scroll bar device in the device manager now has a caution sign again. Do you advice I re-install the synaptics pointer application or do i count my losses and bail
    ?

15. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I'd try it one more time, could have been just one of those random glitches. The virtual scrolling is a nice feature to have, especially for horizontal scrolling. Page up and Page down is an alternative for vertical, but not much help if you need horizontal, like in a spreadsheet.

I don't know if any of their newer models have that same scroll bar device, but if any do, you might be able to use the driver from that model laptop on your own.

Too bad touchpads don't have three buttons. I usually use an external mouse on my laptop, and have the middle (wheel actually) button set to AutoScroll. Click it once, then scroll by moving the mouse in the direction I want to scroll. Click again to stop.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice