1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM corrupt or missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dampfleece, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dampfleece

dampfleece Thread Starter

Hello,

New to the forum but in desperate need of help.

I keep getting this message when trying to boot my netbook. Sadly, I do not have my recovery disc as it is in UK and I'm in Argentina.

Have purchased a new XP disc with the hope of reinstalling (the hard disc is partitioned with data separate) windows.

All goes well and I get to a blue screen with 3 options, to install XP, to repair, or to cancel.

If I select either install or repair I just get another blue screen with a 'registry error' message and I can get no further.

I have read a similar post on the help pages which gave 2 options. First to use the recovery disc which would involve a ñpng journey! and second to download a recovery utility which I cant do as I cant use the computer (I'm using a hostelone now). I never get to a command prompt screen at all.

Sorry, I should add that I have had the hard drive and RAM tested in a computer shop today and all cleared ok.

Is there any way around this??

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I can't think of a reason why clicking to install should throw the Registry error - it should go straight to copying files and installing but if it did that, it's probable that the data partition would have been destroyed so in a way, you're lucky.

If this is possible in your circumstances, your safest course of action is to remove the hard disk and use a USB convertor to slave it into another system. Once you have your data saved in a place of safety outside that disk, you can then format it to a clean state, put it back in your netbook and then install XP form the new disk.

3. dampfleece

dampfleece Thread Starter

The problem is that installing XP from the disc does not work,

I get to the option screen with Install, Repair or Exit.

If I select install, after a short while I get the blue 'Registry_Error' screen and can go no further.

If I choose repaor I can enter 1. C:\windows as my installation choice but on selecting this option I am redirected to the same blue screen with 'Registry_Error' again and can go no further.

I don't seem to be able to do anything to get to a command prompt.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You could skip that stage and go on to the second option which is a Repair install, leaving your existing files in folders under Windows.old so you can transfer them to the new system. That method also mainly preserves your installed programmes but gives you a clean, new Registry, part of which is what is stored in that System file.

You could also tunnel in using a Linux LiveCD to see if you have a System.old or System.bak file anywhere which you could use to overwrite the main System file in System32\Config.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice