1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows takes up space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TangoVirtud, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TangoVirtud

TangoVirtud Thread Starter

Hey!!! I'm following. From the 8gb disk I've got only 200 mb free. My Office occupies 258 mb, so, I don't know where to delete space. Help me too, please!! I'm almost a log on this, I haven't been able to run messenger here.:p

2. TangoVirtud

I turned off system restore and I'm on 460 MB free! Can you help me get more???

3. akaHothead

akaHothead

to TangoVirtud
    You would probably get a better response by starting your own thread.
    Helps to avoid confusion.

4. valis

valis Moderator

split into own thread. In the future, please resist piggy backing on other's threads.

to clear up some space on your pc, you can flush your restore points, as follows:

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)
    1. Turn off System Restore.
    On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    Click Properties.
    Click the System Restore tab.
    Check Turn off System Restore.
    Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
    On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    Click Properties.
    Click the System Restore tab.
    UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
    Click Apply, and then click OK.

thanks,

v

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You can upload the screen shot to photobucket.com and post a link to it
    You can paste it into Wordpad, or into Word and attach that file.
    Paint only takes 0.4 MB, you can re-install it from Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components | Accessories and Utilities | Accessories

6. valis

valis Moderator

also, you may want to look into buying another hd for storage, as your primary is only 8 gb. You can get a 50 gig for next to nothing these days. I got a 1 tb (1000gb) for about 100 bucks.

thanks,

v

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If this computer is a netbook, it may or may not be upgradable. Some older models were limited in what type of hard drive could be used.

8. valis

valis Moderator

good point.

is this a laptop or a desktop?

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It's an Acer Aspire One ZG5 Netbook (Model AOA150 series I think), this is the machine according to the OP in the other thread this was split from:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/11/20/review-acer-aspire-one-zg5/
    What I don't understand is these netbooks came with either a 120 GB or 160 GB drive, so I'm wondering what happened to it? I'd guess it's a SATA drive, and I don't think they make an 8 GB SATA drive, unless its an SSD.

10. valis

valis Moderator

agreed. think we need to wait for the OP to give us either more or correct info.

11. TangoVirtud

I followed the procedure, and it worked. I've got full access. It's the very same computer, and the very same problem. Do you really think it's worth it to open a new thread when this info is as useful to me too??
    Anyways, I'm a newbie, whatever you suggest, I'll follow.

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Do you know what happened to the original 120 GB or 160 GB drive that these netbooks came with? And can you post the screen shot of Disk Management?

13. valis

valis Moderator

glad it worked. :)

and I had already split it off into it's own thread.

You may want to follow outcaste's instructions and get a screen cap up here of what you are looking at.

thanks,

v

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice