1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows taking up alot of storage.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Granteh, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Granteh

Granteh Thread Starter

Hi, so i recently just bought a new laptop for gaming with a 256gb SSD. I have noticed under storage that its split into 2 drives. (C: and D:).
    The C: drive is the one using all the space atm and is currently using 65/155gb (i have nothing installed). This is also after i performed a disk cleanup of the drive and removed my windows.old file.
    When i go in further its the System&Reserved thats taking up most of it.
    Further again and its the system files thats using 47gb. It says these files help windows run and my PC wont work without them.

Anyway im a little concerned that ive lost so much space before I’ve even got into using the Laptop and am wondering what could be using it up.

Any help is HUGELY appreciated and sorry for the long post!

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

What's one the D:\ partition? Is it a recovery drive?

3. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I would start by using the following program to show exactly what is taking up the most space. Post a screenshot once it is ran.

https://windirstat.net/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice