1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows TEMP folder

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by eight_bit8, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eight_bit8

eight_bit8 Thread Starter

Can I just delete this folder, Its taking up 7 freakin gigs

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

You would do better running the "Disk Cleanup" from the System Tools Menu or going into Windows Explorer and selecting everything in it and deleting it that way...

Then again, at a Dos Prompt toy could deltree the folder and then re-create it. Be careful of "DelTree" though!

Good Luck!

ST

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

This is \Windows\Temp????

Seven (7) GBs?????

Have you looked to see what files are in there?

That is overly huge unless you have had this PC for a while, done numerous (too many to count) installs and never, ever deleted any files here.

In general, files and directories in this folder are exactly that, TEMPorary, and can thus be deleted.
    But, before I blew away 7GBs of data, I think I would have a look through them first.
    I "have" seen a post, where it was recommended that this folder be deleted, AND, they had used this as their default install folder (a la Program Files). :)

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

eight_bit8
    If you want to be extremely careful you can navigate to C:\Window\Temp folder and only delete any files that have a date older then the date you are doing the cleanup. Make sure you open all the subfolders listed to explore for deletions there.

Dave

5. jm100dm

jm100dm

I have read often that you can delete anything that is at least a day old. To do this you could open the file and list by date. Then select a start point (example Jan31) and Scroll to the bottom and hit your delete key. It will take a few minutes for that much to be deleted. If unsure search this site for delete temp files and see what others have suggested.

From a post by Frank.

If you have not upgraded anything in 2-1/2 years, besides the fact that your computer is lacking numerous updates for Windows and Internet Explorer, I'm sure that it's loaded with temporary and other trash files that need to be deleted. You will find them under:

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.* (If this folder exists)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

6. eight_bit8

Thats right.
    2 years, and I installed tons of crap. Never deleted it

7. SexyTech

SexyTech

If that is the case, then TRY running "Disk Cleanup" and just letting it go until it's dumped what it needs to.

START--Programs--Accessories--System Tools--"Disk Cleanup"

It will prompt you to dump all the stuff like Temp files that are more than a week or so old I believe!

It's something that should be done like onve a month or so!

8. eight_bit8

I tried that, but it said it could only clear up 248 megs

9. jm100dm

jm100dm

If your drive is large enough increase the size of the recycle bin for now. Right click then properties.

10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If it is really 7GBs, it will take "a ton" of time, no matter how you try and delete it.
    But, I would recommend from DOS.

Shutdown > Restart to DOS and enter

Smartdrv
    Deltree c:\Windows\Temp

I would also suggest

Deltree C:\recycled
    Deltree c:\windows\tempor~1
    Deltree c:\Windows\history
    Deltree C:\Windows\cookies

The latter 3 will clean out the Temporary Internet Files (browser cache), History and Cookies.
    As a result, you will need to re-logon to any Internet Site that requires a password.

After you enter each of the Deltree commands, respond with a "Y" after confirming that the folder name is correct.

You can enter the next command, after DOS responds with another C:\ prompt.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice