1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows temp

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by montemag, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montemag

montemag Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I have a question about the Windows TEMP folder. I have about 375 MB of something in there.Most are 0 KB TMP files but there are many other TMP files that have space attached.I even have one TMP file that has 108.000 KB. Can I safely delete these files. They are TMP files. In this folder are also called other folders like Word folder and Cookies folder-- can all these be delted also since they are in the Windows Temp folder??? Please advise.

2. flyeater

flyeater

Snag a handy piece of freeware to help you delet junk files. May I suggest Moochers.com. Try to avoid anything labeled as Adware & be sure it runs on your operating system (xp, 98/me, 2000, nt).
    Lastly do a back up of your registry and system files any time your not sure if you should delet a file or not.
    Most .tmp files are just junk but you may want some of them. For instance if you forgot your password to this site, which is stored as a cookie on your system you will need to have these fine folks help you if you lose it. Don't worry they can email you the password if you can't log in. Not all cookies are bad but it sure does seem like the majority of them are.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Montemag:

You have some serious trash cleanup to do.

Reboot your computer, then go into Start - Find - Files And Folders and delete all of the following:

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.* (All computers do not have this folder)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

(Note: "Index.dat" files with the current date may resist getting deleted, but you can delete everything else)

I would strongly suggest that you defrag the hard drive after you finish, as there will be a lot of free space scattered all over it.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice