1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows thinks my CD-ROM is not there

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ghank, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ghank

ghank Thread Starter

Hi. I am in the process of trying to get Windows 98se to recognize my CD-ROM drive. It disappeared recently when I was trying to fix another problem, but this problem is more basic. I have booted up using a startup disk and the CD-ROM drive can be accessed by that method, so it is connected and working. The CD-ROM doesn't show up in My Computer, Device Manager, or System Information. I think that it is detected by BIOS, however I'm not exactly sure what to look for in BIOS to confirm this. What should my next step be, or what additional information do I need to include so my problem can be identified? Any help would be great, so I thank you in advance for your efforts.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

One thing you can check, REM out any references to a CD driver in CONFIG.SYS and MSCDEX in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

3. ghank

ghank Thread Starter

Does this mean put REM in front of any lines that contain references to a cd driver in CONFIG.SYS and the same for MSCDEX in AUTOEXEC.BAT? Sorry for my incompetence.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, that's what I mean. :)

5. ghank

ghank Thread Starter

I looked at my Config.sys and Autoexec.bat, and both of them had REM in front of [CD-ROM Drive]. I changed the REM to MSCDEX in Autoexec.bat as you suggested. When I restarted, I noticed the words "Illegal Option" as it was processing the line I had changed. I guess I'm not sure what was supposed to happen or what this could tell me so I'll just wait for more instructions.

6. ghank

ghank Thread Starter

I loaded up a registry from a few days ago and my D: drive is back! Thanks, johnwill for your time.:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice