Windows to Debian Translation

bearspencer

I seem to have opened 1 too many Edge windows on a borrowed Debian laptop that is now frozen. While I'm a literate MS user this is my first exposure to a child of Linux.

Is there an option in Debian that serves the same function as Windows Task Manager and if so, where do I find and use it?

the command is 'ps aux | more'

After listing alll your programs running, you can look up the PID ( process ID ) and type 'kill #' to stop that program.

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
xkill a command that simply kills heavily frozen apps. On most systems its mapped to CTRL+ALT+ESC. Once you press these keys the mouse pointer would turn into a skull 💀 image. Now when you click on any window it would simply kill it. Use ALT+TAB to cycle through windows as mouse only be used for killing apps. If not mapped to keyboard then open a terminal and type xkill hit return key and that would also work.

To add to lunarlander solution, you could also use killall as it doesn't need PID you can type in terminal killall firefox (for eg. if you want to close firefox) but I use kill command with PID.

Use kill -l to get a list of available kill options. Also you can search for a specific PID by running ps aux | grep firefox (eg. searching for Firefox in PID list)

If everything else fails xkill works. And if xkill fails then MAGIC KEY works. Search for REISUB on Google to find more on magickey and reisub.

Last edited:

bearspencer

After listing alll your programs running, you can look up the PID ( process ID ) and type 'kill #' to stop that program.

Thanks
Unfortunately it was so locked up the keyboard became unresponsive.

bearspencer

xkill a command that simply kills heavily frozen apps. On most systems its mapped to CTRL+ALT+ESC. Once you press these keys the mouse pointer would turn into a skull 💀 image. Now when you click on any window it would simply kill it. Use ALT+TAB to cycle through windows as mouse only be used for killing apps. If not mapped to keyboard then open a terminal and type xkill hit return key and that would also work.

To add to lunarlander solution, you could also use killall as it doesn't need PID you can type in terminal killall firefox (for eg. if you want to close firefox) but I use kill command with PID.

Use kill -l to get a list of available kill options. Also you can search for a specific PID by running ps aux | grep firefox (eg. searching for Firefox in PID list)

If everything else fails xkill works. And if xkill fails then MAGIC KEY works. Search for REISUB on Google to find more on magickey and reisub.
Thanks
Unfortunately it was so locked up the keyboard became unresponsive. Fortunately the OFF button still worked

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
Switching off a machine while something is being written to HDD might cause data corruption. Though Linux use a fantastic file system we call ext4 but still there are chances that it might cause corruption.

This happened with me once on winXP.

Solution?? You ask..

The sysrq key(magic rescue). It ensures that disks are properly synchronised before shutting down. Sysrq is mostly the print key on the keyboard. ALT+SYSRQ. Again read more on google.

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online