1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows to Linux Command Help

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by SeskaRotan, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SeskaRotan

SeskaRotan Thread Starter

Hey people,

I was recently given help trying to restore my copy Windows XP and I asked a question in
    THIS thread. I'm basically trying to fix my corrupt system files.
    As you can see, I was given some commands to type in if I had command prompt with Windows XP, but I can't access XP and I'm running on Ubuntu right now. I have tried to translate the Windows XP commands into Linux ones:

Mkdir c:\windows\tmp

cp c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak cp c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak cp c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak cp c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak cp c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
    rm c:\windows\system32\config\system
    rm c:\windows\system32\config\software rm c:\windows\system32\config\sam rm c:\windows\system32\config\security rm c:\windows\system32\config\default
    cp c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    cp c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software cp c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam cp c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security cp c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

I would just like some advice from any Linux experts as to whether or not these commands
    are correct and/or if it will work.
    Please get back to me as soon as possible, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

2. SeskaRotan

SeskaRotan Thread Starter

Sorry for the bunched up commands, it doesn't seem to like my formatting right now...

3. saikee

saikee

Two points relevant here

(1) Windows "copy" is similar to Linux "cp"
    Windows "delete" is similar to Linux "rm"

Thus if you replace the Windows' commands with Linux equivalents then it should do the advised replacements

Additionally every "\" in Windows filenames have to be changed to "/". Therefore your syntax is correct.

You can always check the syntax by typing "--help" after each command in the same way typing "/?" with a Windows command. In Linux you can also type "man" in front of a command to read its manual.

(2) No an expert on MS Systems the change of the 5 files can be achieved with Linux as a root user or preceding command with "sudo" in a Ubuntu terminal. Ubuntu will know these are system files not owned by you so you can only change them with root privilege.

Whether the changes can cure your Xp is another matter.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057186